Chapter 36 ~ Fighting does not last

I sat at the breakfast table, my appetite waning as my stomach churned with an inexplicable sickness. The food before me remained untouched, my fingers picking aimlessly at the morsels. The world felt cruel, indifferent to the turmoil that consumed me, and I longed for an escape from the shadows that had woven themselves into the very fabric of my existence.

Amidst the bustling room, my gaze locked onto my brother's figure across the way. Standing in the company of Louis, he gestured subtly, drawing my attention towards their corner.

Approaching them, I wore a warm smile as Edmund greeted me with a comforting squeeze on my shoulder. His gaze shifted to Louis, introducing us with a casual wave. Although Louis and I had crossed paths on numerous occasions before, this encounter felt different, more official perhaps, now that Edmund had made their relationship known. With a touch of sarcasm in my tone, I responded to Louis's greeting, "Hi." We engaged in conversation, effortlessly exchanging thoughts and laughter. Louis proved to be an easygoing and enjoyable person to talk to.

"Now that you're with my brother—" I began, only to be interrupted by Louis, who turned to Edmund with a hint of surprise and curiosity. "She knows?" he questioned, seeking confirmation. Edmund, beaming with pride, nodded in response. Louis redirected his attention back to me, and I carried on with my intention, "It's time we establish some ground rules, don't you think?"

A flicker of mock concern danced across Louis's eyes, his eyebrows raising playfully. "Oh no, am I about to have 'the talk'?" he interjected, prompting a chuckle from Edmund. Louis quickly shifted gears, adopting a more serious demeanour. "If your brother's a handful, I can only imagine what you're going to 'threaten' me with," he remarked.

"Oh, go easy on him, don't want to scare him off just yet" Edmund teased patting him on the back as he turned around to walk to another Slytherin.

Clearing my throat, I began, "So, here's the thing." I offered Louis a gentle smile before continuing, my voice taking on a sharper edge, surprising even myself. "If you ever do anything to hurt my brother, just know that I won't hold back to reciprocate that pain with equal measure. I will hold you accountable," I could sense a momentary intensity in Louis's expression, but it softened as he understood the sincerity behind my words. I wanted to make it clear that I valued my brother's happiness above all else.

"And if there ever comes a time when you feel like your feelings for him have changed," I continued, my tone resolute, "I expect you to be honest with him and end things respectfully, then and there. He deserves to be with someone who truly loves him, and I won't tolerate any ambiguity or heartbreak caused by uncertainty." I wished for Louis to understand that my brother had been through so much, just like the rest of us, and he deserved a chance at genuine happiness.

So, with a mixture of vulnerability and strength in my voice, I concluded, "Please, don't hurt him. Take things at his pace, and let him explore this connection in his own time. He's important to me, and I hope he'll be important to you too."

Louis listened attentively, his playful demeanor fading away as he absorbed my words. He nodded, his response laced with a seriousness that matched my own. "I hear you," Louis replied, his voice steady and unwavering. "I understand the weight of your words, and I appreciate your concern for your brother. I assure you, I have no intentions of causing him any pain." He paused, taking a moment to choose his words carefully. "I care about him deeply, and I genuinely want to see him happy. I will be mindful of his emotions and treat our relationship with the respect it deserves.

I felt relieved at Louis' reassurance and smiled when he continued "I won't rush him," Louis continued, his voice carrying a reassuring tone. "I'll give him the space and time he needs. If there ever comes a time when our feelings change, I promise to communicate openly and honestly with him. He deserves nothing less."

I couldn't help but chuckle at Louis's lingering nervousness, despite his attempts to relax. With a playful glint in my eyes, I patted his shoulder reassuringly. "Good," Then, tilting my head, I couldn't resist teasing him further. "You know, you don't have to be so tense. We're not plotting a grand heist here."

Louis's shoulders visibly relaxed as a relieved smile played on his lips. "Oh, really?" he responded, feigning surprise. "I was just about to bust out my secret plan and getaway car."

I couldn't contain my laughter, playfully rolling my eyes. "Well, you better keep that plan hidden for now. We wouldn't want to raise any suspicion," I quipped, playing along with his lighthearted banter.

Louis grinned, his eyes sparkling with amusement. "Don't worry," he reassured me. "The plan remains under lock and key. Your brother's heart is safe from any heist attempts, I promise."

As we paced back and forth outside the Great Hall, our conversation disrupted by Cedric's sudden appearance, a slight chill seemed to settle in the air as he cast an icy gaze in Louis's direction. Cedric greeted me with a curt "Hey," his eyes quickly flickering back to Louis. I instinctively reached out and clasped Cedric's hands in mine, holding onto them tightly.

Drawing closer, our bodies touched, and for a fleeting moment, the intimacy of the gesture enveloped us. However, as soon as the realization dawned upon me, I pulled away abruptly, a mix of confusion and unease settling within me.

Louis's gaze shifted from me to where our hands had intertwined, and then back to me. It was as if an unspoken conversation unfolded between us, our facial expressions speaking volumes. His raised eyebrows conveyed a question, a need for clarification, while I closed my eyes and subtly shook my head. Don't tell Edmund.

"Just wanted to check if you were alright," Cedric stated, his words filled with genuine care.

Just fine," I replied a tad too hastily, not wanting to give Louis any room for lingering thoughts. "I should get going, but I'll see you around," I informed him, ready to make my exit.

Louis flashed me a mischievous grin, his eyes sparkling with a touch of playful banter. "Ah, , You're escaping before I have a chance to ask you more probing questions?"" he teased, his tone light but filled with underlying warmth.

I chuckled, rolling my eyes playfully. "I guess I'll just have to save those secrets for another day." I quipped back, matching his playful energy.

Before I turned away to join Cedric, I caught a glimpse of a knowing look in Louis's eyes. I won't tell. "Just fine, huh? You know, 'just fine' is what people say when they're definitely not fine," he teases, a grin spreading across his face. "But I won't pry, promise." He winks "You take care, and I'll catch you later."

As we made our way towards the Charms class, an underlying tension seemed to cling to Cedric's presence.