Chapter 34 ~ The Storm

The sky darkened, ominous clouds billowing overhead. It had been that way since morning—a bleak awakening devoid of sunlight, replaced instead by a pervasive chill that permeated the castle. Even in early June, students trudged through the halls burdened with jumpers and long house scarves. As I made my way back from Charms, I wrapped my arms tightly around myself, trying to ward off the bone-chilling air.

The next phase of our journey towards becoming Animagi awaited us, contingent upon the arrival of an electrical storm. Once the storm struck, the four of us would be ready to undergo our transformation. As I walked, a shiver ran down my spine, a mixture of anticipation and trepidation. It was then that Megan appeared, emerging from the far end of the corridor. Our paths converged, and we exchanged a knowing glance, aware of the task that awaited us.

Fred and George turned the corner and joined us, their presence adding to the mix of anticipation and anxiety that coursed through my veins. As the sky grew even darker, a nervous excitement enveloped me, pulsating with each passing moment.

I couldn't resist the urge to tell this to Cedric, the weight of the impending storm heavy on my heart. As I shared my plans with him, a mix of contentment and apprehension flickered in his eyes, his voice urging caution.

A torrential downpour was predicted, causing the cancellation of classes like astronomy, care of magical creatures, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. The air crackled with anticipation as we huddled together, feeling the nervous energy pulsating between us.

"Shall we get going now?" George's question hung in the charged atmosphere, his words filled with a sense of urgency.

I surveyed the trio before me, their unease mirroring my own. "It's now or never," I whispered, my voice barely audible over the gathering storm. Just then, the sky erupted with thunder, a fierce roar that signalling the arrival of lightning which is sure to follow.

The rain cascaded down upon us, transforming the world outside into a blurred haze. With our hoods pulled up, we pressed onward, heading towards the shelter of the woods. If anyone happened to be watching from a distance, our actions would undoubtedly raise suspicion. I silently willed for the absence of prying eyes, hoping that we remained unseen. As we passed by Hagrid's hut, a fleeting pang of anxiety shot through me.

Our pace gradually slowed, transitioning into a cautious yet determined stride. Megan took the lead, her eyes sharp as she scoured the drenched surroundings in search of our precious crystal phials. The combination of relentless rain and the enshrouding darkness of the Forbidden Forest hindered our vision, "It should be somewhere here" Megan said, as she wiped the water dripping on her face. 

We gathered in a huddled mass, our eyes scanning the surroundings for the faintest glimpse of those elusive crystal phials. And then, with a cry of triumph, I spotted them. Crystal phials, glimmering in the sunlight, each containing a mouthful of a deep, blood-red potion. It was a sight that both thrilled and unnerved me. The next step was clear - we had to drink it.

Nervousness gripped me, tightening its hold with each passing moment. A myriad of thoughts raced through my mind, urging me to reconsider, to view this as a terrible mistake. What if something went wrong? What if any one of us was ill-prepared for what lay ahead? The unease was palpable, and it seemed we all shared in this unspoken trepidation.

The rain had dissipated quickly, leaving us standing there, our gazes fixed upon one another, twirling the phials in our hands. "Well, if we're going to do this, it'll have to be further down the forest," George spoke up, breaking the silence. We needed to find a location where our actions wouldn't raise alarm or put us in any physical danger during the transformative process. In hindsight, throwing an Animagus transformation party appeared to be a foolish idea, contrary to all the cautionary tales we had come across.