Chapter 12: Loyalty

"Crown Prince Jungkook, may I ask where you are headed at this time of the day?" One of the royal guards called, intercepting his path as he was leaving the palace. 

If there was one thing he hated about this place, it would be the constant monitoring of his actions. If he were to be back in his residence, he wouldn't have anyone on his back watching his every move, he would've had some extent of freedom despite his punishment, since the guards would be answering to him anyway. 

The King wanted to know every detail of Jungkook's activities, the young man didn't have much free time anymore because of all the meetings, which already cut the list remarkably short, but he insisted on loading his son's back with eyes to keep track of his every step. 

Jungkook understood that his father wanted to punish him with all the things he didn't like about being Crown Prince. The fact that he hasn't had time for himself was bothersome enough, so Jungkook would have appreciated some freedom to do as he pleased once his responsibilities ended for the day. 

"I would like to ride my horse around the area. Our land is full of beautiful landscapes that should be witnessed" Jungkook replied, keeping a hand on the horse's reins just in case he had to make a run for it. Right about then, he saw a familiar figure from the corner of his eye come closer to them.

"Crown Prince, I assume you are aware of the restrictions his highness has put on your stay. Trying to convince the guards is futile" Hoseok spoke from his right. He walked leisurely with his arms behind himself, chest puffed under his elegant black Hanfu, and Jungkook internally cursed.

The only person he could not get past was Jung Hoseok. The man is very righteous and swears on his King only, talking him into breaking rules is more than useless, it would instead earn him an endless lecture Jungkook does not want to receive.

"Master Jung, not that I was trying to convince anybody, I just thought I could have an escapade every once in a while after fulfilling my duties. Granted, as long as I don't make it a habit until my punishment is lifted" Jungkook articulately replied.

"Well I'm afraid you thought wrong my Prince, allow me to escort you back to your quarters" Hoseok said taking the reins from Jungkook's hands, and pulling him to the opposite direction of the palace doors. 

Jungkook sighed in defeat as he was getting dragged away on top of his horse, just like a child. They slowly made their way back into the stable where the Prince unmounted the animal, the slight frown remained unwavering on his face as he ignored the elder man's attempts to talk.

"Come on Jungkook, don't be like this" he called his name again now that they were alone, nudging him by the elbow. "They are your father's orders, you know I can't do anything about them" he said as an excuse. 

The former military General was aware of just how much the Prince hated these consequences, although not severe at all. Jungkook's freedom was everything to him, and it being taken away abruptly most likely made him feel helpless.

"I just wanted to see someone" Jungkook replied. Taken aback by the softness of his voice, Hoseok pursed his lips in contemplation, thinking of a way he could cheer the younger up without disobeying his father.

"Well, why don't you invite that person to the palace?" he suggested, crossing his arms against his chest proudly as if he solved all of Jungkook's problems.

"It won't be the same Hoseok" He simply said, not wanting to give away any details. They were walking back to the Prince's chambers when Hoseok huffed. 

"No matter how much I think about it, there is no way I can allow you to see whomever this is Jungkook. The orders are strict and clear, I must abide by them" he said defeatedly, sounding like he truly did want to help his friend and former pupil.