Chapter 32: The Hanged Man

Not having forgotten about his actual work at the palace, Jimin was in the royal pharmacy concocting his usual products. His hands busy and his mind even more, but the words he quietly uttered every now and then made him feel just a little closer to the incarcerated Prince. 

"Now I'm putting the dried leaves into the solution, and this is how you get that fragrant smell" he explained step by step what he was doing. "With the amount of information I gave you thus far you should be able to make your own soaps one day, my Prince" he chuckled to himself.

The King had just approved their request for appeal that morning, and he spent the day with sir Jin again drafting Jungkook's speech and discussing it with him in person at the dungeons. He didn't allow himself to be distracted by anything else, and therefore was completely in the dark about the uproar outside the palace. 

"Sir Park?" he was called out of his monologue, and turned to find the former General at the door of the facility, sporting one of the grimmest expressions he's witnessed on the man's face.

"Master Jung, fancy seeing you here" he greeted, stepping to his right not to have the dying sun's rays in his eyes. 

"Consider this a personal courtesy. I want you to hear this from me, because I know the Prince truly cared for you" he started, his words vague and tenses confusing. 

"Cared?" Jimin raised his brows curiously. What would the man need to be courteous about? They barely knew each other and he's clearly showed where he stood. 

"I am here to relay... news, about the Prince's trial" he elaborated, "The King has spoken in favor of the capital punishment" he said at once, not attempting to beat around the bush, and watched as the pharmacist's balance betrayed him for a moment. 

"What..." he muttered, his hand finding its way to the closest wall to stabilize him. Capital punishment? Death? But that made no sense, he thought.

"That makes no sense" he breathed, perfectly wording out the only thought on his mind. Suddenly, his head snapped to the direction of the dungeons when he remembered the reason he spent his time in this area lately. "We cannot be here" he stated, beginning to walk past the man for him to follow.

"Where are you going sir Park" Hoseok called, staying planted in the same spot. 

"Will you please come with me, we cannot talk about this there" he responded, his eyes pleading for him to do as asked. He stopped his steps as soon as they were far enough from Jungkook's hearing range and asked, "What capital punishment? What for?" looking up at the taller Pyre.

"His crimes. You knew of the existence of that mark before everyone else, but I don't know what he's told you about it" he stayed unclear, his expression unreadable. 

"He told me the truth, and it isn't the story of switching sides as you all may think" he defended, boring his eyes into the other's defiantly. 

"It is worse" the master muttered under his breath.

"His majesty has approved his request for appeal, what could have happened in the meantime for such a drastic decision to be made? I don't understand." he wondered out loud with a shake of his head, pacing back and forth.

"Sir Park, please" Hoseok sighed, halting his movement with a hand on the Liquis's shoulder. "I need you to calm down and listen to what I have to say" he requested, "The Crown Prince has been involved in matters much more dangerous than anybody thought"

"What is it?" he urged, growing sick of the never-ending suspense.

"The taboo" Master Jung stated, "He has committed the taboo, practiced magic, and that mark is proof of it" he explained, his own disappointment and anger trying to resurface once more that day.