Chapter 21: The Triquetra

"Everyone can come back to your tasks in the quarters, thank you for waiting patiently" Jungkook announced when he walked outside after a quick bath and Hanfu change. He would rather just lay in bed all day and wallow in his sadness, but there was so much to do and not enough time. 

"I will also need a few of you in the room... I am very sorry for the mess" he apologized and walked out to his garden after some court ladies bowed and complied. 

"Are you ready to give me that explanation now?" his brother's voice said from the door. Jungkook sighed and nodded, gesturing for him to come in and have a seat. What should he even say, oh it was just me arguing with sir Park over his attempt to end my life.

"I don't know where to start brother" he instead admitted.

"Maybe from the part where you've been sneaking out of the palace to see sir Park at night?" Kyungsoo suggested and noticed his brother's eyes slightly widen.

"How do you know that?" he asked, genuinely surprised.

"About a couple of weeks ago sir Park stopped Byunho to ask about a glass flower he had, which you gave him allegedly. He thought it belonged to someone who wore a mask" he explained "I'm not a genius but I could tell he was talking about you" he leaned back with his arms extended against the wooden floor.

"Why didn't you tell me about this..." Jungkook muttered, closing his eyes in regret. This information could've saved so much trouble and heartbreak. Maybe if he'd known that, he would've put his feelings aside to see how Jimin felt about the discovery. It might have given away his hostile motives. 

"You hid this from me, I thought it was for a reason..." Kyungsoo frowned "I don't even understand why brother, I am here for you. You know I would support you in everything you do" he honestly replied.

"I know Soo... It just got even more complicated now, that's why"

"What happened?"

"Let's say he wasn't fond of the disguise" Jungkook said, hiding his face in his crossed arms on the table.

"But I saw you holding each other earlier" the young Prince pointed out.

"Indeed, but it wasn't for the reasons you thought of... We weren't being intimate, so I would like to clear sir Park's name on his behalf." this wasn't something he needed to do, it was his brother after all and he wouldn't go around speaking ill of anyone, but he knew it would be the first Jimin would say if he had a chance to speak to him. 

Things are about to change. After the pharmacist expressed his clear position against him, his hateful words and insulting remarks, Jungkook couldn't do much to pardon him in any way. 

As the Crown Prince, he needs to know how to distinguish feelings and duty. If someone who dared defy the Crown goes by unscathed, there is no telling what others might do if word ever go out. Sparing Jimin completely shouldn't be an option no matter how he had wished for it in the beginning.

Certainly, he wouldn't kill the first person he ever loved, and now he couldn't even if he wanted to. He didn't know if he should be glad that no such difficult decision shall be made, or terrified that he will have to face the source of his heartbreak everyday for God knows how long.

"I am going to assume things aren't going well for you. I'm sorry brother, he is a good man" Kyungsoo tried to console him.

"You don't say..." Jungkook replied sarcastically, making the other raise an eyebrow.

"Isn't he?"

"He is. I was talking about the first part." 

Jungkook doesn't know for sure. Yes he thought Jimin was a good man, but do good people do what he did to him this morning? Do they humiliate others and make them feel like the worst garbage on the surface? Good people don't make fun of someone's feelings and toss them aside as if they were nothing.