Chapter 23: Impossible Choices

Do you want me to?

It seemed as though his mind couldn't think of anything else at the moment, did he want the Crown Prince to go further? Did he wish to indulge in the desire pooling in the bottom of his chest?

The equation should've been solved with one side nulling, yet here they are both alive and in each other's way. Jimin hadn't had these thoughts in forever; with no record of a past relationship and no particular taste for reckless affairs, whereas he is sure Prince Jungkook had women and men on the call to gratify him as wished.

He wondered if that's what he made of him then, that if he couldn't have his heart he would try to have his body. What an insulting motive. 

Walking towards the palace gates, something caught his eye and attention. He slowly dragged himself to the garden and crouched down to pick up the withering white flower in the middle of the pink summer Soapwort. He didn't need more than a second for recognition to light up his eyes. This was the Guide's flower. 

"Beautiful thing, isn't it?" a deep voice said from behind him, making him stand back up and face the tall man. 

"It is a pleasure seeing you sir Kim" he greeted with a light bow.

"You too sir Park, I see you've also noticed this rarity" the royal doctor spoke, looking at the weak flower between Jimin's fingers.

"Indeed, I've never seen it in the palace before" he replied with a narrowed gaze in the same direction. 

"Is that so? I've started noticing it around a month ago, it was sprouting randomly in the palace but I've come to know that the gardeners were plucking it out consistently" he informed. 

"Maybe that's why I haven't come across it" Jimin said with a polite smile. 

"Maybe... Tell me sir Park, are you familiar with this flower?" Namjoon asked as he settled his arms behind his back.

"What makes you ask?" the topic of this conversation was a bit concerning. This wasn't any plant, and the man's keen interest in it was rendering him anxious. Why was he asking, did he know what the Prince is? Maybe someone overheard their conversations in the office...

"Well, you are in fact one of the best pharmacists in the state and maybe in the country. I assumed you'd have extensive knowledge about flora, including this" the doctor shrugged.

"That is quite flattering thank you, but I'm afraid I will have to disappoint in this one" Jimin chuckled while scratching the side of his neck, faking embarrassment.

"Please you could never, it is a very rare flower in your defense" Namjoon reassured. 

"Are you familiar with it sir Kim?" he reversed the roles.

"I did a bit of research after my first encounter with it, and I found something peculiar" he stated, pointing a playful yet challenging gaze towards Jimin, who fails to understand why.

"Do you mind sharing it with me?" he asked, too curious to turn away.

"These flowers have a very particular smell when they bloom" he replied and the shorter instantly tried bringing it to his nose. 

"I'm assuming the fresher it is, the stronger the smell" Jimin claimed, "This one is almost dead, so I'm getting nothing from it" he pursed his lips.

"Indeed"

"Could you describe it for me?" Jimin asked.

"Oh you'll know what I'm talking about if you find it yourself... It was a smell I couldn't quite put a finger on until now-"