3 - The Choices We Make (2/3)

"Ten thousand."

Holland raised her thin eyebrows when I approached her behind the sports hall in the early evening. Covered in shadows, dressed black in black as always, one could've mistaken me for a creepy stalker. Or a serial killer.

I didn't care. This was about more than just money.

Holland was alone, her hair damp from the shower she'd taken after cheerleading practice, and she was busy typing messages on her smartphone. Of course, she got scared when I stepped out of the shadows into the streetlight.

"Oh, my f*cking goodness!" She shrieked. "What the heck are you doing here?!"

"Ten thousand," I repeated, letting my eyes roam over the empty sports ground.

"What?", she snapped back.

I pushed my hood back and shook out my chin-length hair. "I'll do it for ten grand."

At first, Holland didn't seem to get what I was talking about, but soon enough her lips formed a knowing smirk and she put the phone into her pocket. "Well, well. Changed your mind, did you?"

I was lacking the patience for this. "Well?" I made another step towards her, unconsciously stepping into the lantern's buzzing light.

She frowned. "You okay?"

I snorted. "As if you'd care." Wow, I really did sound like a first-class asshole. "Sorry."

She let it pass. "Ten thousand – and you'll get Clay to become my boyfriend?" She held out her hand without having to think twice. "Fine with me."

My heart was pounding.

I'd really do this.

But I guess, desperation was a rather effective motivation.

I looked Holland right in the eye. "I need a deposit."

She pulled her hand back before I could seal our deal. "No way. All or nothing."

All or...I pinched the bridge of my nose. I had no idea how long this would take or when the hospital would pressure me to pay for the bills. Which left me no other choice than to do the very last thing I wanted to do. I had to beg. "Please, Holland."

"You really need the money, huh?" I looked at Holland through my messed-up bangs. She was licking her lips; her eyes staring into space. "Ten grand in total. But I'm willing to do installments."

"In...stallments?" I repeated not knowing what she was getting at.

She grinned and her pale blue eyes began to sparkle. "Let's make it fifty-fifty."

I blinked. "Fifty-fifty?"

She rolled her eyes. "Fifty percent in installments. I'll give you five tasks you need to fulfill and you'll get one grand each. And the other fifty percent cash when you made him my bf."

I gulped "What kinda tasks?"

"Hmm." She put her head to the side. "Let's make the first an easy one. Become his friend."

An easy one she said...

I had no idea how to do it, but what other choice did I have? "Fine, what about the other ones?"

She snorted. "Hell if I know. You finish the first one and I'll think about more." She extended her hand once again. "We got a deal?"

Trembling from head to toe, happy this conversation was soon to be over, I took her hand. But it didn't end there.

Still holding on to my hand, Holland looked me up and down. "But first, we need to change..." She pointed at my drenched clothes. "...whatever this is supposed to be."

Heaven, help me.