9

Jaemin felt his breath get caught and his excitement for watermelon had died down.

"Um, yeah, hi." He mumbled.

"Well, this is a pleasant surprise." He heard the woman speak.

"Yeah, it's nice to see you."

"I haven't seen you in a couple months."

Not that you wanted to. Jaemin thought.

"You've gotten chubbier, son." She spoke. Jaemin almost cringed at her using the word son. He hardly considered her his mother. The watermelon was becoming heavy, but he faked a smile.

"Yeah."

"You smell different." His step-mother commented, moving closer and taking a whiff, then covering her nose. "Odd smell. You smell like an omega, like usual, but it's even more weird."

Jaemin's heart sank. She could smell the fetus probably, or could she smell Jeno? Jeno hadn't scented him, but his car sure smelled a lot like him.

"I do hope it's not a bad smell." Jaemin said sarcastically.

"Well, it's not a good one." She said.

Jaemin didn't know how to respond, so he remained quiet for a moment. He suddenly felt the weight in his arms removed. He glanced to his side to see Jeno gently taking the watermelon from his hands to place it in the cart.

"Who's this?" Jeno spoke, looking at him for an answer. Jaemin stared back, not knowing how to respond. The alpha must have sensed how Jaemin felt, since his face turned into worry.

"I'm his mother, A-yeong, and who are you?" She said, using a fake sweet tone. Jaemin was able to detect when she was acting now, after so many years of guessing.

"I'm Jeno." He said. He knew A-yeong would be curious as to what he was to him, so Jaemin reached forward to sneak his arm under Jeno's, linking their arms.

"He's my friend." Jaemin spoke, hopping she wouldn't press any further or say anything rude in front of Jeno. He would much rather not be embarrassed in front of someone. Perhaps, however, linking their arms together insinuated something else.

"Oh." She then started laughing. They both watched her laugh alone. Jaemin watched Jeno frown in confusion. "I get it now, why you smell weird. You're pregnant, aren't you?" She laughed some more. "I'm sorry, it's not funny. I guess someone decided to put you to use." She patted Jaemin's shoulder a few times, like if she cared about him.

Jaemin's mouth opened in surprise at her statement. How could she speak so easily that way? Did she not understand how rude she sounded?

"With all due respect, what do you mean by that?" Jeno asked with a slight frown. Jaemin felt his hands calm up at the sudden tone.

"No, it's just Jaemin here is such an obedient little son, but he's a mess, perhaps he'll finally mature now that he's fulfilling his omega duties."

"Well, it was nice seeing you...mom (he had to force this word out), say hello to dad for me." Jaemin spoke in a rushed tone. He bowed and started pulling on Jeno's arm to walk away, but he stayed put.

"I think I'd like to meet your mother, Jaemin." Jeno said.

"Yes, Jaeminie, stop being so rude." Jaemin frowned, feeling anxious. "Let me meet your boyfriend properly. I never thought you'd meet such a handsome alpha. It's quite impressive what you omegas are capable of, hm?"

"But he..." Jaemin started, but decided to stay quiet when Jeno pulled him closer by the hand with a firm grip.

"Jaemin is such a lovely person, you must be so proud of him." Jeno said, smiling, though there was something odd about it. It seemed as though he was challenging her. Perhaps it was his psychological knowledge being used to put her to the test?