25

Jaemin had his first therapy session. The session was...going surprisingly well. An omega woman listened to him speak about his mother for about fifteen minutes then told him,

"She sounds amazing. I'm glad she got the help she needed, but Jaemin, you talk down on yourself too much. You keep saying your mother is too perfect, and you'll never be like her, but was there something in particular that made you think you'll never be good enough? Sometimes our parents make us think like this, even if it's not intentional."

"I think it was...my dad. That's what he would say all the time. In words: You're only good for making alphas happy." Jaemin felt weird saying his father's words out loud. Suddenly, they didn't feel so normal anymore.

"And your mother? Would she defend you?"

"She...only sometimes, but I don't blame her. She was scared too. He told her the same thing. She got the worst of it at first."

"Has your mother ever made you feel that you're worthy?

"What do you mean?" Jaemin frowned.

"Well, a mother is there to make it all better, essentially. A mother will compliment you and help you get back up."

Jaemin got quiet for a good moment. That was a somewhat hard question to answer. He though back to when he was younger. His mother had been there for him, but maybe never in words. She put the bandaids on and kissed the bruises, but never whispered what he needed to hear, maybe not until recently.

He visited her the other day, telling her all about the baby shower.

***
"And guess what mom?"

"What, Jaeminie?" She smiled in anticipation.

"It's a boy. You're getting a grandson."

"Jaemin," She leaned over to hug him. Jaemin could see that her eyes were teary, but his mother wasn't one for crying. She was always holding everything in, even now.

"I'm sure he'll be just as pretty as you, baby." She pet his head.

"Pretty?"

"You're so very pretty, Jaemin, and handsome, and so adorable." She backed away, pinching his cheek with a cheeky grin.
***

"Not until recently has she been verbally expressing herself to me. She called me cute as a child, but she stopped once I became a certain age. It was always only with her actions, but she's been more verbal about it recently."

"And do you know why?" The therapist asked.

"Because, I guess, she's getting the help she needs."

"That's good. You must be happy for her?"

"I am."

"I like your necklace, Jaemin." She suddenly said.

"Thank you. Jeno gave it to me." Jaemin smiled, looking down at the necklace.

"And who's Jeno?"

***
Christmas Eve with the Lees?

Jaemin had agreed.

Was it really a shock?

Not really.

It seems to Jaemin that he'd recently made a new discovery: he'd do almost anything Lee Jeno asked, or maybe he had made this discovery before. He knew why now though, and he wasn't proud of it. Falling in love sounded so embarrassing; there must be another few set of words for it that didn't sound so cliché.