Chapter 7

I own nothing. Rumiko

Takahashi owns everything that matters.

XXXXXXXXX

It was heaven. That was the only word Rin could use to describe the sound she had just heard. Heaven. His laughter was beyond music to her ears. It was Nirvana. It was ecstasy. It was so beautiful, her eyes began to water.

She quickly wiped the tears from her eyes and sniffed her nose. As she brushed her hands through her husband's hair, she felt him smile on her lap and let out a soft sigh.

She couldn't believe what just happened. In fact, she could not believe any of this. Her husband, Sesshomaru, the most serious being alive, laughedーand it wasn't filled with malevolence or ill intentions. It was pure. The laughter of a child. The laughter of someone who was...happy.

Oh, God. Rin's eyes filled up again, and, like a river, the water spilled over her eye lids and fell down her cheeks, leaving a trail of light against her skin.

Trickles of liquid glass fell against her husband's ears, making a feint, whispering dripping sound.

Immediately, Sesshomaru froze. She felt him do this. His whole body stiffened, and his smile turned to a flat line. He slowly lifted his hand and wiped away the tear that he had just felt, and brought it to his view so he could examine it. He sniffed it once. Then twice.

His neck snapped as he jerked his head up to look at Rin. The second he saw the crystals glistening in her chocolate brown eyes, he sat up, stood on his knees and stared at her.

Large golden eyes filled with concern and worry peered in to her soul. "What..." He bit his lip. "Why are you crying?" he whispered softly.

Rin tried to clear her eyes from the water, but she couldn't! She'd never heard her husband laugh before, and she had no idea she made him happy. Content, yes. Satisfied, yes. But never happy. No, she never thought he could experience such a tender emotion.

Now...now, she did know, and a strange feeling entered the pit of her stomach. Something that tasted like resolve and joy, at the same time.

Something inside of her shifted, and she quickly realized what it was: after Sesshomaru returned to his natural form, she would do her utmost to make him not content, not simply satisfiedーbut happy. Euphoric. Joyful. If she could do it with him now, why not when he returned? Yes, she would do it. Why? Because, at that moment, it meant everything to her.

Life. Purpose. Meaning. It brought all these things to her.

She wiped her eyes and smiled brightly. "I'm only crying," she began, "because I am happy."

He tilted his head to the side and frowned. "I had no idea sun-one could cry 'acause they were happy."

Rin nodded her head. "It can happen. I do it a lot."

Sesshomaru's lips formed a small O. "Oh. Well... Thaz allight. I thought you cried 'cause you were sad."

Rin stared at him. "And what if I was sad, Sesshomaru?"

He narrowed his eyes at her and gave her a sharp look. "Are you sad? Tell me the truth, Rin. Are you sad? 'Cause if you're sad, I want to know why."

He wanted to know why because she was his best friend. His only friend.

Rin wanted to bawl.

"No, Sesshomaru, I'm not-" She paused because she remembered that she was sad. How could she forget that? How dare she? Her husband was a six year old looking child-demonーnot the adult versionーand he couldn't remember her. Hell, she was practically depressed. The only reason she wasn't moping around was because Sesshomaru needed her to remain strong for him, even though he didn't know this.