Chapter 9

I don't own Inuyasha. He owns me. Or rather, his big, hunky brother does.

*********

The sixth day was dark and gloomy, as was Rin's disposition. Rain pelted against Inuyasha's hut as she, Sesshomaru and Ikuto rested on their cots.

From her window she could see the sky: dark, grey clouds hovered over the village, casting a somber shadow over the area. The morning sun was just beginning to rise, but very little light creeped in through the blockage of the clouds.

Rin frowned against her headrest, and sighed. She was going to have to continue with this day, and try not to reveal how somber and depressed she felt, to anyone. Including Sesshomaru. She didn't need him questioning, when he returned to his natural form, why she had been so depressed-looking the few days before he turned back to normal.

She needed to put up a facade. A good one too, though she knew this would be quite a challenge. Rin had never been a good liar, mostly because she never really lied, which meant that she didn't know how to do it. With little practice who would?

So how was she to do this then? She shrugged. She'd find out sooner or later. She had to.

She turned away from the window and faced her husband. He was resting near Ikuto- not close to her. She didn't want him to sleep with her, though he had been doing so the previous nights before.

After the first night it seemed he thought it fine to continue sleeping with her, as if her one and only consented reply meant forever.

She'd said no to him yesterday. She couldn't let him lay next to her. Not this time. She had too much on her mind; too many thoughts rampaging through her head, leaving her with nothing but a bitter taste on her tongue, and a major headache.

He was silent as he slept: serene and at peace. The emotion that etched his face when she'd told him no no longer covered his face. The look of utter betrayal was gone.

Rin was glad for it. She hated that look, especially because it tore at her heart. She also hated that she was being so cold to him. Despised it. But Kohaku was right. She'd been babying Sesshomaru ever since he changed into a... Well, a baby. And that wasn't right. She knew it would only last a week. This was such a short time. She should've acted the way he would've wanted her to from the beginning.

She knew, because of her actions, he was going to remember everything she did: spoiling and treating him with compassion and pity- and he was going to loath her for it.

Rin closed her eyes tightly and let out a long, heavy, worldweary breath. Damn, but she was tired.

She hadn't slept all night because of these thoughts and if she were to look at her reflection she knew she would look terrible, with circles under her eyes, and crust glued to her eye lids.

She sat up, pushed her blanket off of her and stood. Since she wasn't going to sleep she might as well head out.

She tiptoed softly on the floor, trying and succeeding to make little noise that would wake the boys. Once she left her room, she exited the hut and ambled off toward the hill where she'd sat with Sesshomaru a few nights ago and talked.

The place usually exhibited a grand display of the sunrise. Today, Rin was denied the privilege to see something beautiful.

She plopped herself on the dewy, wet grass and laid her head on it. She stared at the sky, watching the clouds move in their almost sluggish pace.

Her heart ached. What did one do to alleviate the sickness?

Rin covered her face and groaned. She knew the answer to that: make love to Sesshomaru.