Chapter 12

Sorry for the long wait! I've been real busy!

Rumiko Takahashi owns all characters from Inuyasha. I just made up Ikuto, and the kids.  

***** 

Through a blurring haze of tears Rin stared blankly at the area Sesshomaru had disappeared into. It was dark and shady, with very little sunlight seeping into it from above. Little streams of yellow and pink kissed it, but only very small amounts.  

He had been gone for more than half an hour now, and left her with nothing but a broken heart and shattered eyes. Her breathing came out hard and heavy; laborious, even. She covered the place where her heart was buried and distantly felt it beat slowly. 

He truly left her. Alone. In a forest where anything could happen to her. A demon could attack her. A human could pounce on her and have his way with her. She would fight him off, of course. All of them. Demon and human alike. But her strength wouldn't be enough. Especially not in her present, pitiful condition. 

He was gone. 

She could hardly believe it. But then... 

Rin smiled bitterly. This whole week she had dreaded what was to come, yet readied herself for it. Why was it so hard to believe? She knew it was coming. But this was worst. Far more terrible than she had ever imagined. 

How could he do this to her? To them. Yes, he was mad, but-damn it! She was his wife. He was honor bound to protect and cherish her! There was no reason for him to leave her alone. There was no reason whatsoever for him to be angry with her. To give her a look of such potent rage and revulsion combined into one. 

He wasn't even willing to argue with her! She'd told him no and he uncharacteristically listened to her, as if he didn't care whether she followed him or stood behind. 

What about you? What did you do to stop him? 

Enough. 

Rin's hands curled into fists, grabbing leaves and dirt, breaking them to shattered pieces. Rage fell over her vision, and her tears froze on her eyelids as she held them back. No, she would not cry. She would do no such thing. She'd wept enough this week. No more tears. 

No more, Rin! 

She had had enough. 

Sesshomaru didn't want her anymore? Fine. She could live with that. She would. There was a time not too long ago when she lived for herself, and by herself. She'd survived well enough without him for some time. She didn't need him. She didn't! 

So...why was it so hard for her to turn her eyes away from where he once had been? And why was it so impossible for her to say this out loud? 

Do it, Rin. Say it. You can be independent. 

"I..." Her throat convulsed. She swallowed thickly and tried again. "I..." But it was to no avail. She couldn't say those words aloud. Because they were nothing but lies. She needed Sesshomaru like she needed air. He was a part of her; the only being to become one with her, body and soul.