Chapter 11

I don't own Inuyasha or any of the characters in Inuyasha. But Ikuto, Nagisa and Tomoya are mine!

*****

Rin was careful not to open the wound as she started off toward the end of the village where Ah-Un, Jaken and Inuyasha would be. Her movements were a bit stiff, and they most certainly were slow, but the boys didn't seem to mind. They walked beside her, quiet and patient.

She caught a glimpse of Ikuto and her lips twitched at the sight. His eyes continued to slowly close and then snap open; the boy was tired still. Fortunately, he didn't look the least bit worried about anything. Aside from him being sleepy he was relatively calm. Sesshomaru, on the other hand, was completely alert. He stared in one direction-the one before him, and never altered his vision. He always had been a focused demon...

Once they reached the gate, the other demons quickly fell in their view. Sesshomaru gasped when he saw his brother and he ran to him, to Rin's amazement.

"Good morning, brudder!" he whispered excitedly. "Are you coming with us?"

Inuyasha crouched down to meet his brother's gaze. "No, Sessh. Not today." His voice was suspiciously hoarse; soft, but broken.

Rin and Ikuto met up with them. Inuyasha stood up and gave her a half smile. "Morning."

She bowed her head. "Thank you for everything, Inuyasha."

He waved his hand. "It was no big deal."

"It was," she said with feeling. "It meant everything."

Inuyasha didn't know what to say to that so he just cleared his throat with a cough and muttered, "So, do you need help getting up?"

"Yes."

He looked at her leg. "How is it?"

She awkwardly placed her hand to where the wound was and rubbed the sore spot. "It feels as if it is being strung up against a hook, and with each step I take it stretches till I fear it will split open."

Inuyasha cleared his throat. "I... Er... Let's go back."

"No," Rin said. "I can't. You know what must be done."

"But your leg..."

"From here on out I will fly with Ah-Un. Don't worry, Inuyasha. I'll be fine."

He wasn't so sure about that, but he listened to her nonetheless, and gently scooped her into his arms, jumped up, and placed her over Ah-Un's saddle. The boys followed behind him, leaping into the air, landing with the grace of an eagle.

His gaze roamed the saddle, making sure everything was in place. Rin smiled softly. "Inuyasha," she said, "everything's fine."

He blushed. "Yeah, I know."

"I'll be all right."

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't like this," he grumbled. He cocked his head toward Ikuto. "How come you're letting him go?"

Rin placed her hand on his shoulder and squeezed. "Inuyasha, give it a rest. I have to go."

He literally pouted. "I want to go," he whispered. "I don't like you going without me or even Jaken. At least take the toad..."

Rin was shaking her head before he even finished. "He'll take his anger out on him."

"Oh, so you're okay with him taking it out on you? Rin-"

"He won't harm me."

He searched her eyes. "How do you know?"

She didn't. Not really. Oh sure, a part of her believed that Sesshomaru wouldn't lay a harmful finger at her. He'd never done so before. But this was different. A different time under different circumstances. Her heart believed he wouldn't hurt her... Would it prove to be right?