Chapter 5

We ran out of time to clarify everything. I was called for the final check-up relatively promptly so that Mark could take us both home with him after his night shift.

"Are you not okay Louis? We can leave you here for observation even a bit longer, that's no problem. You just have to say it." The doctor asked worriedly. Mentally, I wasn't really there, I just hung deep in my thoughts.

I made a defensive gesture. I wouldn't spend another night in this hospital for anything in the world.

"You know best Louis... Your father said we should do another blood count. You already know why. Is that right?"

I nodded. So at least I saved myself the appointment in three weeks.

I willingly lay on my back and rolled up my sleeve. I was happy that the IV port was just removed. -then the next cannula was pushed into my vein already. I felt like a broken machine that was constantly had to be repaired.

"Alright Louis. That's it."

I laid there for a few more minutes. Since I hadn't eaten anything, my circulation was going a little crazy. The doctor had already said goodbye and left the room.

"Lou?" Harry carefully looked through the slightly opened door. "Can I come in?" "Sure."

He knelt next to me and ran his hand over my forehead, on which some of my hair, still dishevelled from sleep, laid.

"Your father is waiting in the car; we've already loaded your things." "You look like shit Harry. Did you sleep at all?" I ignored what he had told me before. Harry looked bad. -Deep, dark shadows under the reddened eyes, the skin in an unhealthy pale tone. He shook his head guiltily. "Every now and then a few minutes, but not really."

That's what he looked like. "When we're at my house, you lie down in my bed and sleep in, Haz. It doesn't work like that; you can't stay awake forever." I decided without him being allowed to protest.

When we were in the car, Mark turned to us and ran a hand through my hair.

I protested his gesture. It already was uncomfortable when he did it at family dinner or something, because he thought it was a cool dad-and-son-thing, but it really didn't have to be in front of Harry.

"How are you, Louis?" he caringly inquired.

"Quite good, actually, but I'm hungry... Harry probably too." I looked to the side. Harry sat with his head against the window in the car door.

"Good... What do you two think of an incredibly health-critical drive-in at some fast-food chain, after which every nutritionist deducts you at least a year of life expectancy?"

Harry looked at me confused.

"He asks if you want to get a Breakki at McDonalds. He's just back from the night shift, Mark always needs a bit of time to get back to normal speaking... and thinking, just try to ignore that." I translated.

Amused, but completely exhausted by all his tiredness, he raised one corner of his mouth to an asymmetrical smile.

"Gladly, so only if that doesn't cause any trouble?" he replied modestly.

It didn't take long before we each had a paper bag on our laps. I reached in impatiently and fished with my fingertips for the mayonnaise-heavy sandwich, which I quickly unpacked and eagerly bit into. I couldn't remember the last time I was so happy about a tasteless piece of toast with an indefinable topping.

I felt the slight dizziness that had risen in my head since the blood test was fading a little with every bite.

Harry nibbled on a hash brown, lost in thought, and stared at the street. Minutes passed in which no one spoke, just quiet chewing noises.