Chapter 33

Startled, I dropped the key from my hand as we opened the door to be greeted by an unexpected crowd of people and a banner that read 'Goodbye Lou' in colourful capital letters. I could imagine Zayn designing it. So cheerful and in his own style I had envied him for all those years in art class. It looked like I would go for a year or something and then come back. Anyone outside could never have thought that this banner would stand for a final farewell. And I liked that

"Surprise, Loubear." Harry smiled and released his hand from mine to put his arm around my waist.

I looked into the smiling faces of my closest friends and dearest acquaintances. There were so many of them. Liam, Gemma, Anne, Lottie, Mason, Mark and of course Niall, Zayn and Gigi to name a few. They all tried to grin gleefully. Although nobody really wanted to succeed, since everyone knew what the reason for this meeting was.

"You're crazy." I exhaled, choking back the tears of emotion that stung my eyes.

"So fucking crazy."

-

We all walked into the living room as almost everyone had given me a hug once and told me how much he or she was going to miss me.

Mark and Mason had organized a barbecue, Gigi had decorated the room down to the last detail, Zayn had painted pictures for his girlfriend to decorate. -Another situation where the couple was perfectly matched. Niall had arranged the drinks and Lottie played my favourite playlist.

The people in the house danced exuberantly and there was always a small cluster of people around me. The mood was good. Better than I expected and at some point, Mark said goodbye and went to the night shift. I had told him not to neglect his job for me. After all, his life would go on. "See you tomorrow morning little man." He said in a pained voice and ruffled my hair.

It wasn't long before Anne and Gemma also said goodbye. Both had to work the next morning.

Harry's mother hugged me tightly.

"I'll miss you so much Louis. My son will never find someone like you again. It's not fair. I would trade places with you, it's all so cruel. I'm so glad I met you. You're the best thing ever happened to Harry." She sobbed into my shirt in all her endless pain and her being so unbelievably sorry for this young love to have to end and I couldn't do anything but just hold her.

By midnight most of the guests had left. Some to continue partying in some club, others because they thought it was enough. After all, the evening wasn't a boisterous party. -At least not primarily.

Only Liam, Niall, Gigi and Zayn were there still. And of course, Harry, who clingily snuggled close to my side on the couch and watched me prepare a Redbull vodka mix for the two of us to share.

Liam, Niall and Zayn were standing at the kitchen counter talking about something and Gigi was wandering around aimlessly. I had the feeling she had something on her mind all evening, but she hadn't said anything and I didn't want to address her strange behaviour directly. But I was worried and made a gesture to encourage her to come to us.

I raised the vodka bottle invitingly, but Gigi firmly refused with a shake of the head. Exhausted, she let herself fall into the chair and watched introspectively as I shrugged and put two straws in the glass, only to pick it up off the table and bring it carefully to Harry's face. The curlyhead hesitantly put one of the straws in his mouth and took a small sip from it he twisted his mouth in disgust and i couldn't suppress a small grin. "You have to try again. The first sip never tastes good." I encouraged him and brought the straw to his mouth myself. I tapped the thin plastic lightly against his lips and finally he opened his mouth again.