Chapter 22

"Are you staying the night?" I asked softly when Harry had introduced himself to Edda and was now sitting on the bed. With his fingertips he gently caressed the skin on my ankles that had been exposed by the rolled up of my trousers.

Unsatisfied, he looked up and into my eyes. I could already read the answer from his gaze.

"Five minutes ago, you said you would never leave me alone again." I must have been very exhausting. How I acted. like a child.

"I wish I could Loubear, but look, I have to at least say hello at home and tell what's going on... and besides, you have a roommate here, honey. I don't know if I'm bothering you."

I looked questioningly at the bed next to me, on which Edda already had her novel back on her lap and now lifted her hands defensively.

"That's not supposed to be the problem guys, I don't mind."

I let out a relieved breath and looked at Harry happily, who still didn't change the expression on his face.

"Still Louis. I'll stay here from tomorrow, I promise." He swore with crossed fingers and looked at me encouragingly.

"Come on Lou. I'll be here with you,  until you fall asleep and tomorrow morning, mine's gonna be the first face you see when you wake up. Is that a compromise?"

I leaned back on the pillows and nodded in agreement.

Grinning, Harry climbed over me and unnecessarily pushed me deeper into the soft bed to whisper something in my ear.

"Very good darling and do you know what we're going to do now?" His voice was a soft whisper and somehow conspiratorial.

I shook my head excitedly.

His grin widened. "Good, because I won't tell you either."

"Don't be a tease, Hazza." I pleaded, pouting impatiently.

"Put your bum in the wheelchair here, otherwise you won't even be allowed to come along."

"Would you consider getting off of me?"

"Maybe..." He leaned in for a kiss and I came closer to him without hesitation.

"You are disgustingly cute, get out of here." Edda commented on the scene, when Harry decided to lift me from bed to wheelchair by himself, over the edge of her book.

"See you later little lady." Harry waved her a goodbye and pushed me out the door into the hallway.

"Are we allowed to do that at all? And anyway, aren't the visiting hours actually time-limited?" I asked when we were in the elevator and earned a little chuckle.

"Who cares about the rules, darling. And as the son of a senior physician, you have nothing to lose anyway."

Outside the cool wind lashed my face and I enjoyed the fresh air that had been almost withheld from me for the last forty-eight hours.

He drove me for a walk through the hospital park. It was getting dark and a fine rain fell, but it didn't bother Harry or me.

"So, bubs. What do you think, craving for roasted almonds? Cotton candy, candy apples?" I turned around in my chair to give him a confused look. We had been walking down a poorly lit street for quite a while and he still refused to tell me what the destination was.

Without a word, he handed me a flyer and squeezed my shoulder so that I looked forward again.

"I found that one on the street when I was walking to the hospital earlier. I don't know if you like it, but I thought it might be nice. And if you don't feel like it anymore, we just turn around and leave, yes?"