Chapter 2 (V): Another

Katsumi immediately stood up.

A body discovery announcement?

Just then, Monomi showed up. "Bad news!" she cried. "K-Koizumi-san has been... killed!"

Now it's Koizumi-san?

"Where was she found?" Katsumi immediately asked.

"A-At the beach house..."

She was about to leave the room, but then...

"Hey, Hirata-san. Why don't we untie Komaeda-kun?" Monomi asked.

"Huh? But..."

"W-Well, now that we have to investigate, isn't it best if we could all just get along and cooperate?"

"I... guess... we can't keep him tied up forever, but..."

Monomi hung her head. "I just... don't want anyone to doubt each other anymore..."

What will the others think?

...

He's going to have to go to the class trial anyway, regardless. It's mandatory for everyone, right?

...

"...Fine," Katsumi said. "I'll do it."

"I'm so glad you understand, Hirata-san!" Monomi smiled. "Then, I'm leaving it to you."

With that, she disappeared.

Katsumi walked over to Nagito. Taking the handcuff key out of her bag, she unlocked them.

His wrists were red from pressing against the metal for so long. A pang of guilt coursed through her body.

"I'm... sorry..." she said, looking at his wrists.

"It's alright, Hirata-san..." Nagito said reassuringly. "I can still move them without any issues. There's no need to feel bad."

"Y-Yeah..."

She quickly untied his legs from the tables and with that, he stood up for the first time in days.

"Anyways... let's go to Jabberwock Park," Nagito said.

Where the motive is?

"You're... going to play that game first before even checking the body?"

"A murder has already taken place and I'm willing to think that it's related to that game," he explained. "Everybody else has most likely started investigating. Figuring out the murder will mean figuring out the game, don't you think? You can always go to the beach house first on your own."

...

"Fine then..." she said. "I'll come with you."

Soon, they arrived at Jabberwock Park. An arcade machine was sitting there.

The motive.

Katsumi was first to stand in front of the machine, staring intently at the two big joysticks and the colourful buttons. Her eyes started darting up and down the control panel. She started to feel a little nervous, though for a completely different reason.

Shoot.

Nagito seemed to have picked up on her anxiety, because he spoke up. "Hm? What's wrong, Hirata-san?"

"Uh..." Her face felt a little warmer than usual. "N-Nothing."

"Are you going to start?"

"...Y-Yeah..." She continued staring at the buttons, focusing even harder.