Chapter 3 (II): New Outlook

The next morning, Katsumi got up and went over to the restaurant.

The group conversation was relatively short, with a few discussions of the clues on the third island, though the mysterious file in Electric Ave. didn't really help that much.

Everyone was also glad that Fuyuhiko was doing okay.

"He's recovering extremely well, so he should be discharged from the hospital about one week..." Mikan explained. "However... he's... probably lost the use of his right eye forever..."

"He totally deserves that," Hiyoko said, her grudge still very much evident.

We'll have to go slowly, I guess...

With that, breakfast came to an end. Katsumi head back to her own cottage.

What should I do today?

Free Time

Katsumi quickly decided that she should move all her work over to the laboratory.

There's a lot of stuff... I might need to strategize...

The doorbell rang and Katsumi rushed over to open the door.

"Oh, hi there, Hinata-kun," she said. "I've been thinking about moving my things over to the hospital lab. Do you want to help me with this? Of course, only if you want to..."

Hajime ended up agreeing and the two of them spent the morning moving equipment to the third island.

Once the last items were moved over and they returned to her cottage again, Katsumi plopped down on a chair, offering another to Hajime.

Free Time Event (Hope Fragment 4)

"..." The usual silence enveloped the two.

After some time, Katsumi suddenly stared at him intently, though her eyes were directed down.

Hajime's eyes widened. "Um... Hirata?"

Let's see... if it looks like that, then...

"Do you... work out?"

"...Huh?!"

Katsumi's eyes were intense and she didn't look up at all. "I never noticed it before, since I've realized that you're the type who looks thinner with clothes on, but upon closer look, your build seems like it."

"R-Really?" Hajime seemed to shift uncomfortably. "Well, I-I'm surprised you can notice something like that just by looking."

"It's just practice. When someone does commonly-done exercise for long enough, certain muscles tend to develop more than others and they'll take on their own build. It's not a perfect method to determine it, but at least I wasn't wrong this time... You seem to be a hard worker in that regard and... I find that admirable."

"I... don't think you should. Is it really that impressive?"

"Honestly, anyone who commits to that is impressive. I sometimes wish I'd taken physical activity more seriously. Learning proper self-defence would probably come in handy about now since we're in this killing game..."

"Y-You're making it sound ominous... It's just that I've always tried to keep working hard so I'd find..." Hajime hesitated. "...so I'd find what I excelled at in life."

Katsumi blinked. "And you accomplished that, didn't you? After all, you were scouted into Hope's Peak Academy."

"Yeah..." Hajime was hesitant in his reply. "I don't understand why I still don't remember my talent, though..."