Chapter 3 (V): Finally

The next morning, Katsumi went to check on Nagito. According to Mikan, he was still in critical condition. His face was extremely sickly-looking and pale.

Don't die... Komaeda-kun... please...

"...Don't you dare die on me," she muttered, her voice shaky.

She took a deep breath.

It's fine... If I leave this to Tsumiki-san, he'll be fine...

...

Wait... if Komaeda-kun's so much worse off than the others, could it be that...

He's immunocompromised?

She quickly shook her head.

Now's not the time to think about it... I need to get to work again.

An hour later, there was a knock on the door.

Is that... Hinata-kun?

"...Come in," Katsumi said.

Sure enough, Hajime walked in as she was still focusing intently on her work.

"Oh... Hirata," he said. "We just finished our meeting on the monitor with the others in the lobby. There isn't much to update on their side, so it's fine. But, also... everyone's ecstatic about the medicine! Soon, this whole mess will be over."

"I see... that's great," Katsumi replied, half-concentrated on her work. "Well, thanks for the update."

"Yeah... no problem."

I can do it. Even though Tsumiki-san's getting really busy now if I keep up at this pace...

I'll definitely be able to finish it by nighttime!

...

.....

More awkward silence.

How do people keep up conversations for so long?

Mikan was the one to break the silence. "Hirata-san, I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but you seem like you wanted to start a conversation."

"Oh! Well, I mean..." Katsumi scrambled to say something but kept tripping up on her words. "Actually, well, uh..." Curse her inability to make good casual talk.

"Ah... I-I'm sorry. I lost control and said whatever I wanted... Just as I thought... I'm a nuisance."

"Y-You're not a nuisance, Tsumiki-san." Katsumi finally gathered herself again. "Real nuisances are people I wouldn't be able to stand for more than five seconds in the same room. You couldn't be further from that."

"Huh? Oh, I see. Um... thank you very much."

She finally accepted a compliment, huh... Katsumi internally smiled a little.

"Um... Can I ask you something?" Mikan said.

"Sure, what is it?"

"Hirata-san, did you like school?"

"Like, before Hope's Peak Academy?"

"Yes, that's right."

Katsumi blinked at the question, remembering all the stares she would see from her classmates ever since she had stepped foot. Of course, no one was heartless. Everyone showed sympathy due to her circumstances in first grade. But that was first grade. It wasn't their fault, it was hers. It was her fault for giving everyone that same gaze. The very same gaze that had made Mikan think she was mad at her. The very same gaze that could make some people shrink. It was all because of her foolishness that it had etched itself onto her face. And her lack of effort back then to change it was what brought her ultimate demise. Being that one, quiet loner in class with nobody else to look to.