Chapter 6 (VI): Hope...?

"You can't lose hope!" Makoto shouted.

Despite those words, everyone's faces were sullen.

"If the memories we made here disappear, I will not even remember why everybody died..." Sonia said.

"If we don't rid the world of despair, the Tragedy will start once again!" Kyoko said.

"I want to see Peko one more time..." Fuyuhiko mumbled.

Everyone's eyes were devoid of life.

"If we turn back into Super High School-Level Despair, we might be killed by the Future Foundation, right...?" Kazuichi said.

"This is your responsibility since you're the ones who fell into despair!" Byakuya scolded.

"Was it really...?" Katsumi replied, her voice cold. "If it was brainwashing, then it's not like we even chose to be that way..."

In the end, I'm still incapable of accomplishing anything...

"It's not our responsibility," Akane added. "It's the Future Foundation's."

"They're both hope and they're both despair!" Junko exclaimed. "A conclusion will never be reached!"

And then...

"No, that's wrong!"

Hinata-kun?

Katsumi's dead eyes slowly redirected to him. He seemed... different...?

"...There won't just be hope..." he said. "There will probably be a lot of despair too... I don't know what kind of future awaits us... but our futures are ours! I won't let anyone take them!"

...

"...Huh?" Junko's words were blunt. "Who the hell are you?"

"I've decided... I'm done running away. I will fight for my future! I will fight alongside the future that everyone created for me! It's not for anyone else's sake but my own!"

"D-Don't tell me..." Junko started to look nervous. "Kamukura...? What the heck is going on? I-Is this... a serious bug or something?"

"I... am not not Kamukura Izuru... I am Hinata Hajime!"

Junko's confused look became desperate words.

"Hey! Let's just finish this already! There's no need for you to choose! You only despair because you yearn for hope! Close your eyes and cover your ears and just shut the hell up! If you do that, this game is gonna continue forever!"

"Even so, I...!"

Her eyes turned serious. "You don't have to look at the hopeless future—"

Hajime's sharp gaze had seemingly stopped something. Junko hesitated for a second before her words became even more desperate.

"The future's full of lies!"

"You have no rebuttal!"

"There's no hope!"

"Any choice is despair!"

"The future will make you suffer!"

"Just give up already!"

"Kamukura!"

"You're not hope!"

"A miracle won't happen!"

Finally...

"You won't be able to do it! You won't be able to do anything—"

"No, that's wrong!"