Chapter 6 (II): Chaos

As they stepped outside, the hallway had changed again, the lighting a deep red.

There's no use being surprised anymore...

They walked around and eventually found themselves in a music room. Inside, there was a monument that was... floating? It had the Future Foundation's symbol engraved on it, along with a short passage of text carved on the stone.

To combat the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history, the graduates of Hope's Peak Academy were among the many who established the Future Foundation.

"Huh? By the graduates of Hope's Peak Academy?" Hajime said. "Aren't they known as World Ender?"

"Yeah, this is completely different," Katsumi remarked. "So... all that talk about World Ender..."

"Monokuma... he completely made it all up!"

It would be safe to assume that they're not the enemy that we thought they were...

Next to the monument was also a bright green hologram with floating text. It looked like a passage from an e-mail.

Regarding that report we gave you that other day, we have obtained information—a person who was found to be a survivor of Hope's Peak Academy. Upon further investigation, there are a total of 16 survivors. You may be wondering about the number of people at this time. If they're survivors of Hope's Peak Academy, it's possible they may be targeted by Super High School-Level Despair. We believe we should acquire them and place them in our care as soon as possible, though I don't believe that group can go that far without Enoshima Junko rallying them. In a worst-case scenario, we must prevent a repeat of the killing school life. Also, if they are survivors of Hope's Peak Academy, we should expect them to be quite valuable to us. However, we are still investigating the details of their origins and we haven't located them either. We will continue investigating this matter. Also, regarding a separate matter, we have received a report from the research facility on Jabberwock Island. Preparations have been completed. It seems we can proceed with the experimental phase of the Neo World Program.

"16 survivors... are they referring to us?" Hajime said. "Excluding Nanami, who was part of Future Foundation, that would make 16 of us, right?"

"It seems so..." Katsumi said. "But if they used the word 'survivor', then there must be more going on that we don't know about."

"Well... for now, we know that Future Foundation is on our side. The Future Foundation took us in to protect us. Monokuma's true identity is probably Super High School-Level Despair then..."

They left the room and entered a school office, with Kazuichi inside. There was another hologram with what looked like an e-mail.

We understand this matter regarding the survivors. In order to safely acquire them, please do your best and continue the investigation. However, you must exercise extreme caution concerning the Remnants of Despair. Even though they have lost Enoshima Junko, the fact remains that they are incredibly dangerous. Even after her death, the Tragedy has not ended. Perhaps, there is still a leader on par with Enoshima Junko. As long as we do nothing about the Remnants of Despair, we will not be able to end this incident. For this reason, the Remnants of Despair must be immediately eliminated once they are discovered. Everything is for the sake of a shining future.

"'Eliminated'..." Katsumi quoted. "They mean 'killed', don't they?"

"Their circumstances... must be different then," Hajime said. "If the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history is as bad as it sounds, then it would make sense that they wouldn't be forgiven that easily."