Chapter 3 (IV): Diseased

The next morning, Katsumi went to the restaurant for breakfast as usual. This time, she happened to bump into Hajime when she exited her cottage, so they decided to head to the restaurant together. There was still a heavy air from what happened yesterday, so they mostly kept quiet.

Suddenly, when they approached the stairs...

They heard faint crying, the noise coming from the restaurant.

"Hm?" Hajime said. "Hirata... you hear that... right?"

"Yeah, I do..." she answered. "We should take a look."

They entered the restaurant. Looking over to the source of the noise, it was...

Akane.

"*Sniff*... I'm scared! What are they going to do to us...? Waaaah! I'm scared!"

Is this... normal?

Hajime and Katsumi exchanged confused glances.

"She's... definitely acting different, right?" Hajime said.

"Yeah..."

Yesterday, she was so confident...

Along with her, Nagito and Hiyoko were also there.

"Hey, Komaeda-kun... do you think Owari-san's acting weird?" Katsumi asked, approaching him.

"Hirata-san, be careful!" Nagito said with a serious tone. "That's probably not the real Kuzuryu-kun!"

Katsumi gave him a weird stare.

What is he saying?

"I know," he continued. "The real Kuzuryu-kun is already dead. That's why... it's probably Kuzuryu-kun's clone!"

"Komaeda-kun?"

What happened?

"Hey, are you messing around?" Hajime asked.

"I'm not messing around!" Nagito said with a determined expression. "What I say is the truth!"

Suddenly, Ibuki showed up. "It may be rude of me, but I would like to say my greetings first thing in the morning!" Her voice sounded odd. "Yes, I am Mioda Ibuki!"

Her eyes had a weird look to them.

"Be careful Mioda-san!" Nagito said. "Hinata-kun wants to kill you and eat you!"

"Hinata-san!" she said, sounding awfully robotic. "I am not tasty! Please do not eat me!"

There was a back-and-forth exchange of Ibuki believing Hajime, then back to believing Nagito.

"Wh-What's going on?" Hajime asked.

"M-Mioda-san... has an extremely high fever. That's probably the cause..." Mikan said, entering the restaurant. "T-Try touching her forehead and you'll see what I mean..."

Hajime went over and softly placed his hand on Ibuki's forehead.

"Wh-What is this?!" he exclaimed. "This heat is abnormal!"

Hajime went over to Akane too. His expression confirmed it was the same with her.

So, that means...!

"K-Komaeda-kun!" Katsumi's voice had raised as she approached him.

"I don't have a fever!" he said cheerfully. "I feel extremely great today!"

She placed her hand on his forehead. Sure enough, it was unnaturally hot.

"Tch... Why...?"

"My goodness! That's obviously bad!" Monokuma said mockingly as he showed up.