Chapter 5 (IV): Just Try

E v e r y t h i n g    i s    g o i n g    t o    b e    f i n e . . .

The way those words were mercilessly shattered was almost comical.

"Heh?" Kazuichi was having a hard time comprehending the situation. "Wha-wha-wha-whaaa? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

"What's going on here...?!" Fuyuhiko said, his eyes wide with shock.

"Is this real?!" Akane said.

*Ding Dong Bing Bong*

"A body has been discovered! Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the class trial will begin!"

"So... it's... for real?" Akane said.

Why...

Why...?

Katsumi found herself collapsing on her knees, her eyes wide as she stared at the body.

"H-Hirata?" Hajime said, visibly worried.

Why, why, why..?

Why... did this... happen?

"...Wh... y...?" Katsumi said weakly, staring at the body.

Without saying a word, she quickly stood up, then ran out of the warehouse.

"H-Hirata!"

/—/

Before he could say anything else, she had already disappeared.

Before she turned her head to leave, Hajime caught a glimpse of tears running down her face.

"Hinata-kun!" Chiaki said. "We should go after her."

"Yeah, got it."

The two of them rushed out.

She shouldn't be too far away.

They entered a few buildings but with no luck. Finally, when they entered the plushie factory...

/—/

Katsumi was sitting down against the wall and covering her face. Tears could be seen dripping onto the ground as she clawed at herself.

Stop it.

The rushing thoughts in her head. The stabbing pains she could feel. She wanted to scream.

"Why...?"

Her head was filled with the same shouts and screams, echoing throughout. Several thoughts were rushing around, but one thought stood out from the rest.

Why?

Her breaths were sharp, as she pressed her hands against her face, violently trying to stop the tears.

The stupid tears.

Why?

Why?

Why? Why?

Why?! Why?! Why?!

Why, why, why, why, whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy?!

"Ḯ̵̞f̶̫͘ ̷̣̃w̶̧̾e̴̛̦ ̵̧̋g̶̫̃e̵̙͆ṯ̶̈́ ̴̧̍ȏ̶͇f̸͈͆f̵͔̚ ̷͓̈́t̸̘͊h̴̯̋i̶͍̾s̶͎̀ ̷̳̍i̷̧̛s̴̳̿l̴̮̎ȧ̴̮ṋ̵͝d̴͙̈́.̶͔̿.̵̼̂.̴̙̒I̷͇͐'̸͔̿ĺ̸̟l̸̨͛ ̸̡̉m̷̗̓å̸̰k̴̭͋e̵̯͗ ̵͓̋s̷̥͛ṵ̸̄r̶̩̚e̶̻̚ ̸̩͊ỳ̴͕o̴̱͠u̶̫͛'̴̜̀l̷̩̍l̶͕̅ ̵̬͠ĺ̸̪i̵̡̚v̵̭̾e̴̱̊ ̷̻̽f̶̩̅ȏ̷̯r̷͙̈́ ̶͎͗w̸̘͝à̵̤ẙ̴̗ ̴̮̃l̴̖̍o̷͉̎n̸̻̈́g̸̰͝ë̴͙́r̴̻̔ ̷̩͊t̵̬͋h̷̬͝a̵̠͘n̴̡͒ ̷̗̅å̴̠ ̶̺̋y̴̱̐e̴̿͜á̵̳r̶̝̂.̸͔͑ ̷̬̿Į̸̛.̶̟̅.̴̭́.̶͍̾p̶͙͛r̴̨̔o̶̳̓m̷͓͛i̵͎̔s̸̟̏e̶̜̅.̷̤͠"