Chapter Twenty

Julian

It was the next day, early afternoon. I squeezed the rag in my hand, ridding it of excess soap and water before applying it to the blood stained on my basement floor and scrubbing it forcefully. Killing Eric not only took the energy out of me, it also made a huge mess, one that I didn't intend to make. His blood, a glossy deep reddish-brown. I had been scrubbing and scrubbing for hours and only so little has come up. I was beyond frustrated and my arms were tired. "Ugh, fuck this. I'm going to have to cover it up with a rug or something for now." I say, getting up from the floor, taking off the rubber yellow gloves and tossing them to the side of the bucket. Afterwards, I dusted off my jeans. I bent down and picked up the towel I used to clean the mess, throwing it into the charcoal-colored bucket filled with old bloody water. I picked up the bucket by its handle and was about to head upstairs when I noticed Emelise sitting straight up, her back, pressed against the pole and her legs crossed. She stared off into space, occasionally blinking. The look of fear and shock was still on her face. I sighed, sitting the bucket back down for just a moment, and walked over to her. I felt bad that I would be the one to cause her traumatic state, but I needed to do what I had to - it wasn't like I wanted her to watch him die. Everything went so fast and it just happened. I wouldn't say I was sorry for killing him because I'm not. My only regret is not doing it sooner; however I am sorry she had to see it. I approached and crouched down in front of her. I looked at the turkey sandwich and apple juice I had prepared for her just a bit ago. The plastic cup was still full, and the sandwich hadn't been touched. I turned my head, fixating my attention on her. "You really should eat." I say. As expected, she did not say anything. I extended a hand out to her, but she flinched back, avoiding my touch. Her body began trembling. "Come on," I say, "you don't have to fear me. I'm not going to hurt you." Which was the truth: I didn't intend to hurt her unless she's behaving badly. "Look Emelise," I began. "I-I'm sorry. You may not ever forgive me, but I am deeply sorry and someday you'll understand all of this."
"No! Leave me alone! Ju- just go away! Please... go away!" Emelise shouted at me before her voice broke at the end and she sobbed in her hands uncontrollably. "Y-your th-the reason he-he's gone..." she said through her tears. My eyes softened watching her react in such a manner, I hadn't realized just how badly I had damaged her, a child. "Okay, fine. I'll go, but I'll be back to check on you later-I have some errands to run. Eat if you feel up to it." I told her.

I stood up and walked back to the bucket, picking it up by the handle, and went upstairs. I left the light on in the basement and shut the door behind me. Thanks to Eric, I couldn't lock the door anymore, which I didn't like. I'd have to run to the home store to get some things. I walked down the hall carrying the bucket, approaching the bathroom and flicking on the switch. I walked to my bathtub, then lifted the bucket up and emptied it into my tub drain. When the water was done draining, I sat the bucket on the floor and rinsed out what was left in the tub. Afterwards, I washed my hands before heading to the kitchen and pouring myself a straight shot of Bourbon whiskey and throwing it into the back of my mouth. I let out a small cough as I slammed down the tiny glass onto the counter. My throat and chest burned from the alcohol as I digested it. I leaned on my countertop, running a hand through my short hair, thoughts in my head wondering what to do now. I had a few problems on my hands and I needed to form a plan quick. I needed to do something about Emelise now that I killed her dad. She knows where I live now, what I looked like, and worse, she witnessed me killing. She may be young, but she's no idiot. She could do a lot of harm to me if she gets out. I think I need to keep her just a while longer. I wish I would have thought this through more. I hadn't realized the work I had cut out for myself. What was I supposed to do with Eric's body? He was wrapped in a garbage bag and sitting in my car trunk. Not to mention, I had to get rid of his fucking car that's still stuck in my driveway. I should work on that one first.

*********

"So would you like to know how much you're going to get for this vehicle, Eric, is it?" The junkyard worker asks. "Yeah, Eric. Uh, I don't really care. I just want to trash it. It's an old piece of junk, anyway." I told the guy. "Alright, well, bring it around back. We'll take care of it," he says.

I drove around to the back of the junkyard like the man instructed me to. I've been here for at least an hour. I never understand why it took so long just to junk a car, you'd think with they way they are about the parts, they'd be ready to rip it apart. When I got to the back, they told me to get out of the car and I complied. I had already given them the title and registration, so all I had to do now was just give them the car. The guy handed me two hundred and fifty bucks, and I left. I stood out in the front of the junkyard and dialed the number for a taxi. Just before I could hit the call button, I received an incoming call. I usually didn't answer unknown numbers, but the slightest thought that Eric might have said something to someone crossed my mind and now I'll have to find and kill them, too. I decided to answer the call.

"Hello." I said into the phone. There was a static noise and some shuffling around before I heard a familiar soft-spoken voice. "Julian? Julian, is that you?"
My heart skipped a beat. "Y-yeah, it's me, I'm here. Eliza?" I confirmed it in a bit of a nervous tone. "Yes, it's me-how'd you know?" She asked, surprised at my guess. "How could I ever forget that voice? It's so angelic." I replied, a huge smile plastered on my face.

"You're too sweet for your own good, Julian. So... by any chance, are you busy? If not, I could really use your help with something."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "What's wrong? Is everything okay? Are you alright? Did something happen?" I asked a series of questions, my voice laced with deep concern.
"Relax my hero, I'm in no danger, however, a bit of a crisis. It'll be easier to explain in person and I also need to run a few errands, so please come, will you?" She begged. I relaxed, feeling relief wash over me. She was safe. On the other hand, I was freaking the fuck out. There's Emelise, I gotta get back to-shit! I hadn't gotten rid of Eric's body. It's still in my trunk. I froze for a moment, thinking of what to say.

"Julian, are you still there?"

I scratched the back of my head. "Sorry, I'm here, um, I wish I could help, but I have this thing-"

"Please, please, pretty, please?" She cut me off in mid-sentence. I hummed. She wasn't going to take no for an answer. Fuck it. "I'll... be there shortly." I caved.

"Yay! You are a lifesaver, Julian. See you soon!" She praised me before hanging up. Removing the phone from my ear, I took a deep sigh. Fuck, how am I going to do this?

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Yay! I can't believe I made it to chapter twenty!

Hi! Sorry if this chapter is a little boring, I wanted to shift focus back to Eliza.

Hoped you enjoyed it still!

If so, please vote and comment!

Thank you so much! ❤🖤❤