Chapter Thirty · Seven

(Eliza's dress above.)

Eliza

Today was my birthday. It was currently eight-thirty at night as I stood in the mirror of my bathroom, putting the final touches on my look before taking a step back to admire myself. I felt that I went all out; I had on a rose gold, slit sleeve sequin dress with silvery sparkles in the detailing. Only stopping just a little before the knee. It was beautiful. I wore matching earrings and stiletto heels to the silver parts of my dress. I did a simple makeup look, light blush, some mascara, and a shimmery neutral eyeshadow with matte nude lipstick. Lastly, but not least, my voluminous spiraled curls came down my back and rested there. My look was complete.

The only problem right now; I wasn't at all in the mood to celebrate it. My brain couldn't seem to process Eric's murder. It was just two days ago. Seeing him like that really messed me up. I mean, I know he sold drugs and did other things, so I think it was bound to happen with the life he lived at some point, but he was human, and I still think he didn't deserve that. Now that he's gone, I'm more frightened than anything. I still had a debt to pay him. I keep thinking, What if the person he is working under is already after me to finish it? What if they aren't as easy on me as Eric was? True enough, he was an asshole, but in his own ways, he protected me from the cruelest people out there. I haven't even begun to think about if the cops will show up here. What if they think I did something or worse, they find out I've been moving and hiding the drugs? I could go to jail.

I stood there with all of these thoughts swirling around in my mind when suddenly, I felt myself growing weak. I was becoming lightheaded and felt like I was going to be sick. I leaned over the sink, catching myself as I began struggling to breathe. My body trembled as if I was cold, and the bathroom felt as if it was growing smaller and smaller, as if the walls were caving in on me. I think I was having a panic attack. I knew I had to calm down or I could seriously faint. Looking at myself in the mirror, shaking violently. Count to three. Come on, breathe. You got this, just breathe. Shutting my eyes tight, I inhaled a deep breath. One... two... three. I counted in my head before exhaling. Again, I counted, inhaling another deep breath. One... two... three. I exhaled, then reopened my eyes. As I was pulling myself together just then, there was a knock at the front door. I am calm. I am calm. "Coming!" I shouted. Standing straight up, I took one last look at myself before I turned off the light and left.

I made my way downstairs to the living room. Once I approached the door, I unlocked it and opened it up. "Hey! Happy birthday!" Becca greeted me cheerfully, holding a wrapped gift in one hand. "Um, h-hi and thanks!" I said after flashing a smile, attempting to sound upbeat. Afterwards I embraced her and she returned the gesture, giving my back a small pat. "Come in." I said to her as we pulled away from each other. She walked in and I closed the door back. "Thank you so much for the gift." I told her. "Oh, it's nothing," she dismissed. "But wow! Girl, you look absolutely stunning, Eliza." Becca complimented me. "You look very beautiful as well." Her look was a simple. An ebony, off-the-shoulder skater dress with open-toed high heels to match. Her long straightened strands were pulled into a neat low ponytail, showing off her gold, dangling earrings. Her face was natural. She wasn't much of a makeup person, but she didn't need any. I've always admired her natural beauty.