Chapter Thirty · Six

Julian

Later that night, I decided I'd try to tie up a few loose ends. I wanted to know the history between Eric and Eliza. I had to know what other ways they could be connected to fill the gaps left in my mind, and for if and when the police starts their investigation, she could be the first they suspect, they'll put together some bullshit story just to bait her, in hopes she will slip up and say the wrong word, then they switch the blame and pin it on her and because she's not prepared for any of their tactics, she will fall for it. The funniest thing I find about cops is they don't actually care who did what, it's all about them gathering the most believable story and motive for doing so, and if it sounds like it makes sense to them, they'll close the case and say they solved it like they're some fucking heroes when they've done exactly nothing.

The bottom line is I'd hate for my girlfriend to go down for my murder while I didn't do a thing to try to stop it. Whether she knew it or not, she needed my help and the only way I can help her is if I know exactly what I'm dealing with. I know Eric wasn't a saint. I'm sure he has enemies, with the kind of life he lived; there's no telling the kind of shit he's in, and the others aren't dumb enough to talk to the police; they want to avoid them. With that being said, they'll need someone to blame, and I plan to pin it on Becca. I'll plant the evidence they need and put her right at the center. I know it's fucked up, framing an innocent person, but the way I see it, it's better and safer this way. She's obviously loaded and comes from a good family. People like that always have a little dirt on them, but what does it matter? I'm sure they have connections. They can afford to buy themselves out of trouble; but for me, I have to tread lightly.

I sat in bed, searching through Eric's wallet. It was basic. Small, square, and leather brown; and only a few pockets. There was no relevancy in me doing this. I was just curious to know what was inside. I opened up the first flap and was met with a driver's license. I skipped over that and went into a full-on search, going through every pocket I could find. The only thing I managed to come up with were some credit cards, three hundred dollars and a couple of insurance cards that belonged to him and Emelise. Bored with it, I tossed it to the side and picked up the phone; a black Samsung Galaxy. I pressed on the power button and waited for the phone to reboot. It took a few minutes, but shortly after the home screen came up and I was able to enter the phone. I was surprised, but also relieved to see there wasn't a passcode. This was already too easy, but with my shit luck, the battery level was just on ten percent. What the fuck was I going to do with that? Releasing a frustrated sigh, I began my search.

Starting with the contacts, which gave me nothing, as I didn't know who any of these people were except one; Eliza. Next, I went through his messages. He talked to a lot of different people. This guy definitely had to be a dealer or something of the sort. As I scrolled through, I entered a few chats with the discussion topic being drugs, of course. More specifically, the types like Molly, meth, cocaine, even crystalized and more. There's no wonder how he'd managed to avoid jail as long as he did. I carried on looking through his conversations. I didn't exactly find what I was looking for; however; until, I did. There was a conversation with Eliza and I just couldn't help myself. I had to read it. All the answers I need could be right here. I opened their chat and scrolled all the way to the top; the messages went back from a year ago to before I killed him, which was around three weeks ago. I began reading them. It seemed like they often texted a lot. The things that were said seemed so unreal to me. The more I kept going, the more confused about Eliza I felt.

As I read the talks between them, it seemed their relationship started as drug-related. She would get all these different kinds of drugs from Eric. molly, ecstasy, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), even marijuana are what she would frequently buy. Was she really taking all of this? It didn't seem like her, I couldn't even imagine. I glanced up at the notification bar and checked the battery life. It was currently on five percent. Fuck. I had to speed through this before this phone dies on me. I scrolled down to more recent ones, from the early part of this year. This time it wasn't about her buying more. She wanted to stop it, and, of course, Eric wasn't letting up that easily. It seemed like Eliza had a debt to pay off, and he gave her a choice to either help him sell or pay him back for all the drugs she didn't pay for, and then she could walk away debt free. Again, I glanced at the battery and it was now at three percent. Fuck. I picked up the pace, reading a little faster. My eyes were practically scanning over the words now.

Eliza told him it would take a while for her to come up with the money to pay him, which I didn't understand because her parents were wealthy and could have easily helped, but maybe she couldn't involve them in something like this. They do seem pretty harsh from the way she talks about them. Eric wasn't making this easy for her, either. She offered to give it to him in payments, but no, he wanted to make it hard for her, so he tells her that he wants every dollar from her in a week. The amount was five grand. She told him she needed more time, so he asks her how badly she wanted to be free and what she would be willing to do. She didn't know where this was going, and neither did I.

Right before I could find out, a warning message appeared in a black box on the screen, notifying me the phone would shut down soon. I had just two percent left and intended to make the most out of it. I clicked away the box and got back to reading, which became more complicated as the phone screen was getting dimmer by the second. She chose to help him. She let him use her house as a stash spot and make his drops, knowing the dangers and risks she was putting herself in. I was on the last percentage, nearing doom, while being on the verge of finding answers. My eyes locked on the screen. I was ready to see how this played out, but of course, the screen blacked out. Shit.

I knew enough to know what I had to do, but on the other hand. I'm still left with unanswered questions, like what else is Eliza hiding from me? She didn't even think about telling me about her past and the truth of her relationship with Eric. Did she not trust me with the truth, or did she think I'd see her differently had I known? I mean, we all have a past. Mine is far worse than hers. It's not like I can tell her about what I've done. If I had to be honest, I knew she wouldn't understand if she found out, a part of me wishes she could. I wish things could be easier for me, but her situation is different. She was in college, young, she could be easily influenced, but now she's a woman, a pure one who is learning from her mistakes, willing to correct them and I love her. I understand her. 

×××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

If you enjoyed this chapter,

please vote and comment.

Thank you! ❤🖤❤