Chapter Twenty · Three

Dedicated to CoolIceStone13

Two days later...

Eliza

It was early morning, especially at seven, when I awoke to the bright sunshine that beamed directly on me from my bedroom window, which was straight across from my bed. I squinted my eyes, trying to escape the sunlight, as I got out of bed and went straight to the bathroom — I hate my bladder for being the weakest part of my body. When I finished, I washed my hands and took a good look at myself in the mirror. My hair was frizzy, some strands sticking out wherever it wanted. Light bags underneath my eyes. I sighed. Another dreadful day of work. I brushed my teeth, followed by a shower. Working at a clothing store in downtown Los Angeles, Lizzie's Club Boutique, wasn't a job I had in mind for myself. There was nothing about this job that I liked, except for the pay, because it paid well. However, the store was full of overpriced fashion material, which attracted the most nasty-behaved customers who felt entitled because they had money and don't even get me started on my manager from hell. Unfortunately for me, I needed this job because I chose to drop out of college and the debts are just piling up.

Sometimes, I wish I hadn't. By now, I could have been a certified neurosurgeon at the University of California, Los Angeles, but I just had to fall behind during my third year of college. I mean, I fell behind tremendously and by my fourth year, I just couldn't catch up in time for graduation, so I made a decision to drop it all and never look back. Of course, I have only myself to blame. I allowed myself to get sucked into the world of college life in just my sophomore year. Mixing in with the wrong people who did nothing but party, drink, and do any kind of 'happy drugs' you could think of. I barely skated by, and worst of all, I lost myself in that world. It cost me everything. Now, I'm doing everything I can to get myself together. I felt like such a failure and it didn't help that I had parents who expected me to be this perfect, successful person because of who they are; my father being the top lawyer at the firm he worked for, and my mother who is CEO of her real estate company. Being their only child, I always felt I needed to live up to their expectations because I was too cowardly to do anything else. I can't help but wonder what my parents would think of their twenty-two-year-old college drop-out mess of a daughter. They probably would say I'm a disgrace to this family and I'll more than likely agree.

They didn't even know I dropped out, and I planned on keeping it that way. Having my parents ride my ass isn't exactly what I needed right now. We agreed, well, more like they made the decision for me that I'd go to school, and they'd pay for my housing off campus, so with no college to attend, that means my parents won't send me anymore money for housing or food even. I still lived off of their money; it's how I've gotten by. The clothing store pays well, but it's still not exactly enough for housing and college debts. Luckily for me, they moved to Minnesota, so they're one problem I don't have to deal with, at least for now, anyway.

Turning off the water in the shower, I stepped out, grabbing a towel from the rack and drying my body. The air I was exposed to sent chills down my spine. I hated it. I headed to my bedroom and got dressed. My bra and underwear were first, then a white, casual button-down top, which was tucked into my black knee-length pencil skirt. I finished the look with my white, open-toed gladiator sandals. I blew out my chocolate curls until it was silky, bone-straight down my back and applied a bit of natural make-up. Just a light rose blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, and my favorite cherry red lipstick. I checked myself out in the bathroom mirror. Satisfied with my look, I went downstairs into the kitchen. My shift didn't start until nine and it was just seven-forty-five right now, meaning I had time to grab a bite. I opened my fridge and was met with empty shelves. Nothing but juice, water, and condiments. I let out a sigh of frustration as my hunger set in. I shut the fridge and opened the freezer and was met with more emptiness. "Guess I'll just have to raw dog the day for now and shop once I'm off work later." I told myself aloud. I closed the freezer shut, then grabbed my keys off the key hook in my kitchen and my small black cross-body purse with a gold chain as the strap, and left.

After my shift, I stopped by the market and grabbed a few things to eat. I just got frozen dinners, breakfast food, and some fruits. I felt work went fine, mostly, that is until this woman grabbed at least thirty dresses and didn't buy one, then she argued me down about a particular dress we never had, so just peachy. I walked to the kitchen and put up the food I bought. Once I finished with that, I plopped down onto my white leather sofa and kicked off my shoes, then texted my best friend Becca. We met in my freshman year of college. She was a junior at the time. She has been helping me pick my life up and get it somewhat on track again. However, I'm still paying for my past. Like with Eric, I owed him so much money from the drugs he used to give me and my old college friends. I met him through some guys at a frat party. There were guys from that same frat who terrorized me that night, but it wasn't the same guys who knew Eric. They had to be newcomers. Anyway, I do favors to him. Things I don't want to do, but have to. I don't think many people will agree with it. It's not like I can stop it, anyway. I just can't get anyone involved in my crazy life. Especially people like Becca and Julian. I just have too many problems and not enough solutions.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

Thoughts??

New character! I'll be showing a pic of Becca in the next chapter.

If you enjoyed this chapter,

please vote and comment.

Thank you❤🖤❤