Chapter Two

Julian

My heart nearly leaped out of my chest.

I stared at her for what seemed like forever, captured by her beauty-her perfection. Nothing else seems to matter to me in this very moment and I didn't want this to sound too cliché when I say it was like love at first sight, but that is what it really felt like to me. I zoned out until she broke the deafening silence.

"I-is he... d-dead...?" she asked in a panic, being fixated on the asshole I beat the shit out of just a while ago.

Unwillingly, I looked away from her and turned to him. He lied on his back beside my feet, on the ground. His arms and legs sprawled out. I examined his body, my curiosity on whether he actually was alive getting the best of me.

However, it was too hard to tell with little light, so I kneeled down and checked the pulse on the side of his neck. Truthfully, I didn't care if he wasn't alive. He was a dick, and he didn't deserve to breathe any more than he has already. If only she weren't here, I would have made sure I finished the job. I'd sever his limbs from his body, then maybe feed him to a mountain lion or some kind of being, but I would not go that far for the sake of her presence. I didn't want her to see those dark parts of me; she has seen too much of it already.

After feeling for a pulse and finding one, I could confirm. I sighed, feeling disappointed, and said, "He is still breathing, but... he might be out for a little while."

"Oh... well, at least you didn't kill him." She said in relief. Little did she know that was my end goal, but I suppose a good ass beating works, too. I hope for his sake that we don't cross paths again because he won't get so lucky.

I would be lying if I said that it didn't piss me off she cared about the state of his wellbeing when he gave little a fuck about hers only minutes ago. Just thinking about him still breathing angers me. I clinched my fists, thinking about how much more I wanted to end him for trying to hurt an innocent young woman, but dropped them quickly. I needed to hold it together for her. She was my priority. As crazy as this may sound, being that we had just encountered each other, I brought comfort to myself with thoughts of her. Thinking about what she smelled like or how soft her hair and skin were. It felt wrong. Predators nearly attacked her and here I was preying on her. However, what I crave is skin deep. She's not an object in my eyes. She's my soulmate.

I stood up and turned to her. "We should probably get out of here before someone spots us with an unconscious body." I state the obvious. "Yeah... you're probably right," she agreed. "But wait, are we going to leave him there, lying like... that?" She asks. I shrugged, although she probably couldn't see me.

"I'm sure he will move himself when he wakes up. He'll be fine." I say nonchalantly. "If you say so..." she replied, not too convinced by what I said. "Listen," I say calmly, inching towards her, moving slowly for caution. I stopped moving, leaving a minimal of five feet between us. "I know you don't know me and... I'm sure the last thing you want is to trust a complete stranger, but I do not intend to do you harm. If it's alright with you, I'd like to make sure you get home safely." I did my best to assure her. "You're right, that is the last thing, but you helped me and besides... I really don't feel comfortable walking home alone."

"Well, then lucky for you, you don't have to." I say with a sly smirk. She surprised me by walking towards me, closing our small gap. We were only inches apart from each other now. God, I can't help myself. She smells like vanilla.

"I don't stay too far from here, just three blocks in the opposite direction." She informed me. That was a little far, but I'll do it because I know she will thank me later. "Let's get you there then." I told her with the most polite smile I could offer.

Later on that night, I laid in bed. Eyes wide, facing the ceiling with an arm propped behind my head. It was nearly midnight, and I was still high on cloud nine, replaying the events from today over inside my mind.

"Did you know who those guys were or something?" I asked her while we were walking.

"Mm... or something. I don't really want to get into it, though." She answered. I frowned, feeling displeased by her response. It only led to me having more questions, like how in the hell did she get wrapped up with people like that? I needed to know. What if they come back? Will they come back? Did they know where she lived? Was she even safe as she thinks she was?

There were answers I wanted, but then again, I was only a stranger to her. She doesn't owe me that kind of information, so I'll let it go, for now.

"Fair enough." I said, a little disappointed. The walk went back to being silent. The night seemed still. Air felt thick, and it didn't help that the streets were empty besides having the occasional car or two that would honk or drive by. I side eye a glance her way. She seemed to be lost in thought. Her thick, neatly trimmed eyebrows furrowed while she bit the corner of her rose stained lips. I am so mesmerized by her. She's just so perfect, although her hair is in a messy state and her short, crimson dress ruined. I wondered where she was coming from dressed in that attire.

"If you don't mind me asking... What are you doing out here like that?" The words just slipped from my mouth.

Wait, should I have worded that... differently? "Hold on before or if you answer that.. I don't think that came out right. I mean, you seem like you were attending something."

"No, uh, it's fine." She said reassuringly. "I went to a friend's party."

"Oh. Is that something... you normally do?"

She shook her head. "Mm, normally, no. Occasionally, yes."

God, I hated small talk. It always ends as quick as it begins. There was a sudden silence that overcame us. I wanted so badly to get her to open up to me, but she gives so little. It never feels like enough, but it keeps me wanting her more. I'm prepared for the chase.

"Hey, I never caught your name." She commented. I'm such an idiot. If I wanted a girl to trust me, why wouldn't I have done that in the beginning?

"Right... it's Julian. I'm sorry. I thought I mentioned it before." I answered.

Surprisingly, she chuckled, which only earned a smile from me. Relax, play it cool. "My name's Eliza." She introduced herself, shooting a simple smile. Eliza... Eliza... it was... so sweet and angelic, the suitable name to a girl like her. I loved it.

"You have a beautiful name. I'm curious... you know what it means?"

"I do actually, funny you ask. Um, it means... joyful."

"Hm. How fitting." I say, amused.

"What? Do you know what yours means?" She questioned me now.

"Youthful." I answer. "Mm... yeah, I could see that." She tells me with a humorous grin. I noticed she stopped walking. I looked away from her to see a small two-story house in front of me.

It was a pale azure blue and a tint of gray. I observed the bright colorful flowers alongside the porch. So, this was her home. "I assume this is the place."

"That, it is." She confirmed, then turned to me. "Before I go, I just wanted to thank you for everything tonight. You are a really nice man, Julian." She told me. "Don't... don't mention it." I said. I'd do it again for you, in a heartbeat. She said good night to me and was getting ready to turn away, but I couldn't let her just go. My heart racing fast. I blurt out, "Wait. Will I see you around or... something, you know, just to make sure you're safe?"

She looked back at me and said, "Well, you always know where to find me now."

I smirked. Eliza... Eliza... my sweet Eliza.

The way her name just rolls off my tongue. I could say it for hours and never get tired. She's truly something I have yet to discover. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, then fell into a peaceful slumber, dreaming about her.

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××

If you enjoyed this chapter,

please vote and comment.

Thank you! ❤🖤❤