The Age of Steel 3

The trio crept down the corridors of the lower levels of the power plant warily, trying to avoid detection. Having had to exit the cooling tunnels faster than expected, they were still a ways away from the control centre and it was making Terry feel on edge. They were far too exposed for comfort in the brighter and wider corridor where they might easily run into a Cyberman from around the numerous twists and side passages.

They had made it about halfway to the control centre by Terry's estimate when her prediction finally came true. The Doctor and Mrs. Moore flinched as a Cyberman suddenly rounded a corner right ahead of them and cut off their path.

"You are not upgraded." The Cyberman declared as soon as it saw them.

"Yeah?" Mrs. Moore spat as she dug into her bag quickly. "Well, upgrade this."

She threw a small rod of copper wire she'd pulled out of her bag at the Cyberman. The rod stuck onto the metal plate on the Cyberman's chest and instantly, the Cyberman jerked and spasmed as its joints sparked while it was electrocuted until finally the Cyberman collapsed in a heap at their feet.

"What the hell was that thing?" The Doctor asked, amazed and impressed as he peered down at the incapacitated Cyberman.

"Electromagnetic bomb." Mrs. Moore explained with great satisfaction. "Takes out computers, I figured it might stop the cyber-suit."

"You figured right." The Doctor marveled before grabbing his sonic and crouching down beside the fallen Cyberman. "Now, let's have a look. Know your enemy."

He began sonicing the circular panel over the Cyberman's chest, which was embellished with the Lumic Corporation's 'L'.

"A logo on the front. Lumic's turned them into a brand." The panel clicked open and the Doctor pulled it away with a grunt. Terry meanwhile wrinkled her nose, already knowing what would be inside and not in the slightest bit keen to see it up close. "Heart of steel, but look."

The Doctor reached into the Cyberman's chest and carefully peeled away a piece of the white mushy matter that was threaded into the electronics.

"Is that flesh?" Mrs. Moore asked with no small amount of horror.

"Hmmm." The Doctor hummed in the affirmative as he held up the mass with his fingers while Terry grimaced.

"Central nervous system. Artificially grown then threaded throughout the suit so it responds like a living thing. Well," he corrected himself, "it is a living thing."

He paused as he noticed something else inside the Cyberman's chest. "Oh, but look. Emotional inhibitor. Stops them feeling anything."

He pointed out the metal chip imbedded in the Cyberman's chest and Mrs. Moore frowned.

"But why?" She asked.

"They still have a human brain." Terry explained quietly. "Imagine if you woke up and saw yourself inside one of these things."

"You'd go insane." The Doctor agreed and Mrs. Moore looked stunned.

"So they cut out the one thing that makes them human." She realized.

"Because they have to." The Doctor nodded, before the trio all flinched as the Cyberman suddenly spoke.

"Why am I cold?"

Terry's hearts dropped to her stomach. Even knowing this was coming, she wasn't prepared for just how heart-wrenching it was to hear the broken person inside the dying Cyberman suit.

"Oh, my God." Mrs. Moore breathed in almost equal horror. "It's alive. It can feel."

"It gets worse." Terry mumbled while the Doctor realized, "We broke the inhibitor."