Amy's Choice 3

Leadworth

Terry shot up as though waking from a nightmare to find herself on the floor of the empty care home lounge. She hurried to her feet as the others also woke up and struggled to get upright as well, the Doctor still half shoved into the hideous sweater Mrs. Poggit had forced on him. They were barely on their feet when the Dream Lord strolled in wearing glasses and a blue suit and tie.

He stopped in front of the Doctor and held up some x-ray scans as he said pitifully, "Oh, this is bad. This is very, very bad. Look at this X-ray. Your brain is completely see-through."

The Dream Lord peered up at the Doctor with his strange gold eyes.

"But then, I've always been able to see through you, Doctor."

"Say what you really want to say." Terry snapped in an annoyed tone and the Dream Lord tutted at her.

"You really are getting old. So impatient." But he straightened his tie and said briskly, "Now then, the prognosis is this. If you die in the dream, you wake up in reality. Healthy recovery in next to no time. Ask me what happens if you die in reality?"

Terry scoffed before she smacked her face in her hand when Rory actually asked, "What happens?"

The Dream Lord shot him a dark glower. "You die, stupid. That's why it's called reality."

Rory swallowed but Amy was interested in something else the Dream Lord had said.

"Have you met the Doctor before? Do you know him?" She glanced between the Doctor and the Dream Lord, missing Rory's hurt expression and Terry's incredulous one as she asked, "Doctor, does he?"

The Doctor didn't reply while the Dream Lord cooed, "Now don't get jealous. He's been around, our boy. Oh, whoops, guess I shouldn't say so much in front of the missus."

The Dream Lord pretended to feign apology as he put a hand over his mouth and looked at Terry.

"But then, I suppose you two aren't married yet. In this world, at least."

The Dream Lord removed his hand and smirked while Terry gave him a cold look.

"Are you finished yet?" She asked. The Dream Lord's lips only curved higher but he shrugged.

"Hurry along, Doctor, your missus beckons. And you've got a world to choose."

He looked the Doctor up and down like he was disappointed.

"One reality was always too much for you, Doctor. Take two and call me in the morning."

Before they could retort, the man vanished. Terry shook her head in frustration while the Doctor stared with cold green eyes at the place the Dream Lord had been.

"Okay, I don't like him." Rory complained the moment the Dream Lord was gone.

Amy meanwhile folded her arms and stared the Doctor down. "Who is he?"

The Doctor shrugged. "I don't know. It's a big universe."

"Liar." Terry scoffed in his mind. The Doctor didn't reply, especially as Amy continued to press angrily.

"Why is he doing this?"

"Maybe because he has no physical form." The Doctor murmured. "That gets you down after a while, so he's taking it out on folk like us," he glanced down and realized he was still wearing the ugly sweater, "who can touch and eat and feel."

The Doctor peeled off the sweater while Terry looked around the empty room again. With the Dream Lord gone, she returned her focus to the key question she'd had as soon as she opened her eyes while Rory continued to think aloud.