Amy's Choice 2

Leadworth

A teacher led a line of children down the road. Terry frowned at the young faces that looked curiously at her before facing forward again and the children chattered amongst themselves. The church clock chiming in the distance seemed to wake Rory and Amy up as well.

As the pair stretched on the bench, Amy declared, "Okay, this is the real one. Definitely this one. It's all solid."

She patted her stomach as if to prove her point and the Doctor shook his head.

"It felt solid in the Tardis too. You can't spot a dream while you're having it." The Doctor retorted as, this time, he waved his hand in front of his face.

"I've been meaning to ask, why do you and Terry keep doing that?" Rory gestured at the Doctor's odd behaviour that mimicked what Terry had been doing before.

"Looking for motion blur, pixilation. It could be a computer simulation." The Doctor muttered as he looked to Terry to see if she'd spotted anything. She shook her head and he sighed.

"I don't think so, though."

The Doctor glanced at Rory briefly before returning his gaze to Terry just as she turned away to look back down the street. The Doctor frowned suddenly as something caught his eye.

"Angel?" The Doctor called, his voice a tad sharp. She looked back at him in confusion.

"What?" Terry asked. But the Doctor's brows only furrowed further as he stared into her eyes.

"Nothing. Must have been the trick of the light." He said finally. It was Terry's turn to frown, puzzled by the Doctor's strange tone, but it was at that moment that an elderly woman hobbled by.

"Hello, Doctor." The woman greeted as she passed their group.

"Hi." The Doctor answered at the same time that Rory said kindly, "Hello."

The old woman eyed the Doctor in confusion as she continued on her way while Terry looked sharply up at Rory. The Doctor had also turned his gaze back on the companion and he said suspiciously, "You're a doctor."

"Yeah." Rory nodded before he added pointedly at the Doctor, "And unlike you, I've actually passed some exams."

Amy rolled her eyes at his complaints but the Doctor didn't even seem to hear Rory. Instead, he said slowly, "A doctor, not a nurse. Just like you've always dreamed."

He glanced briefly at Terry again, examining her eyes, before he started to walk down the street.

"How interesting."

"What is?" Rory asked as he and the two women hurried to catch up.

"Your dream wife, your dream job, probably your dream baby." The Doctor listed. "Maybe this is your dream."

"It's Amy's dream too." Rory answered defensively, turning to his wife. "Isn't it, Amy?"

"Yes. Course it is, yeah." Amy said a little too quickly.

"Really?" Terry's skepticism was poorly hidden. Amy grimaced in response while Rory faltered but the Doctor had already moved on.

"What's that?" He asked, pointing to the building where the old woman who had greeted Rory had disappeared into.

"Old people's home." Amy replied as though it was obvious. And really, it was.

The Doctor examined the building, pausing on the sign that read, 'SARN Residential Care Home'. Terry meanwhile stared hard at the first four letters. They reminded her of something... but for the life of her, she couldn't recall. It had to do with the Doctor, that she was certain. Maybe not this Doctor? Why was her mind going fuzzy all the time and refusing to cooperate?