Chapter 1: The Favor

'The fire of love is ignited when two are destined for love. They might not spark dazzling flames at first, but the destined ones will stay together to burst the fire of love.'

-A quote I wrote

The Corleone Manor, home to the Corleones, stood in all its glory. Surrounded by an elevated fence made of grey bricks, bronze gates guarded the front.

The manor had a total of five floors, its size great for a home. There were dozens of rooms, a grand ballroom, several kitchens and a dimly lit dining area.

The most extravagant feature of the manor, however, was the lobby. A chandelier of a considerable size, which dripped with rows and rows of gleaming, glossy crystals, hung from the ceiling in the middle of the grand lobby. The polished floor, clear enough you could see your reflection, was greyish white marble. A long, winding staircase led from the second floor to the lobby, was made of white marble steps and a long black railing. There were tall marble vases and statues stationed at the bottom of the marble staircase, beside the marble railings.

Whoever designed and built this place, had a thing for marble.

In this grim, guarded and gloomy place, Alejandro Corleone stood still by his second-floor office window.

His dark, serious blue eyes viewed the outside world. It was as if he was deep in thought, rummaging through his brain for information and memories, flickering through his thoughts.

Or perhaps he was simply bored. You'd never know.

Alejandro had always hid his emotions, starting from a young age. His father, Enzo Corleone, had taught him that emotions were a weakness. A human fault. Men in the mafia weren't supposed to express feelings.

A knock.

"Alejandro."

The low, sulky voice belonged to the eldest of the Corleone brothers, Alfonso Corleone.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Alejandro inquired bitterly.

"The pleasure's all mine," his older brother said sarcastically, inching closer, his towering figure hovering over Alejandro.

"Our men on the outer grounds have reported that some of the previous shipments have been stolen by the Tattaglia mafia."

"The shipments," Alejandro sighed, "weapons or drugs?"

"Cocaine."

"I'll let Stefano handle it."

"Your beloved consigliere lost several highly important payments and shipments last time. Stefano is irresponsible, unworthy of being your consigliere-"

"I do not wish for you to speak of Stef that way, brother."

"This shipment was stolen by Tattaglia men! Our most powerful and sworn enemy, brother! It shall not be seen as a small incident! I will not stand aside and let Stefano-"

"This is an order. Give the case to Stefano."

Alfonso tensed. He had straightforwardly ordered him.

Rule one of the Corleone family: Stay loyal. Rule two: Be rational. Rule three: Be a man of honor. Rule four: Follow. Orders.

Alfonso glared at Alejandro, nodding curtly and left Alejandro's office. Sitting down in his chair, Alejandro breathed out in exasperation.

The rest of the day was not any smoother, problems piling onto Alejandro.

Finally, after a very exhausting day, Alejandro stood up from his desk, ready to retreat to his room for some rest.