Chapter 3: Unexpected Guests

Lei

The sun was shining on Lei's exposed face, rays of warm sunlight sneaking into the room from the thin curtains. Her eyes flickered open, and she yawned.

She started to feel exhausted...although she had just woken up.

Sleep doesn't help when it's your soul that's tired.

Lei sighed. She pushed away the memories.

Getting up, she went down the creaky stairs.

The two-story place she had bought was very simple and tiny, but it was...home.

As she was washing up some baking tools, she heard the glass door opening.

"Welcome! I'll be out in a second!" she called out, frantically wiping her wet hands on her old apron, and ran out from the kitchen.

"Hey."

Standing before her was Don Alejandro, in a black suit, his hands shoved in his pockets.

Lei felt her face redden. Well this was unexpected.

She felt awkward standing before him in a ragged apron while he looked...polished...and nice. He was cold, but good-looking and his blue eyes...

Oh please, don't think like that, she told herself.

"This is so good," a voice exclaimed all of a sudden, breaking her thoughts.

Lei widened her eyes and turned to another man who was eating a blueberry muffin.

"Stefano," Don Alejandro sighed, "we're not here to eat."

"But... it's really good and- Oh there's a chocolate muffin!" Stefano greedily took the muffin from the glass display and took a bite.

"I'll pay for all of it." He had his usual cold tone.

"It's no problem, really," Lei replied, her golden eyes turning back to Don Alejandro, "so..." she trailed off, her eyes looking down, "is there anything I can help you with?"

Don Alejandro revealed the silver pin.

"Thank you, I didn't even notice it was gone..."

"Stefano found it in my office," he said coldly.

"Thank you, sincerely. Please, stay for some food." she offered.

"Well Stef's definitely enjoying himself..." he looked at the man who was wolfing down a strawberry cheesecake with whipped cream, "thank you then."

Lei nodded as Don Alejandro dragged the still eating Stefano to a table. She went back into the kitchen to take some of the desserts from the fridge.

Lei came to their table and handed them bowls of ice cream.

"Eat with us, Lei" Stefano grinned, taking hold of her arm, "I'm Stefano by the way, Stefano Rucci. Al calls me Stef. And I love your food."

Lei grinned, glancing back at the happy man. 

He had freckles on the bridge of his nose, very light brown hair, big brown eyes, and a very innocent and carefree smile. 

Lei sat down with them.

Don Alejandro then said, "if you don't mind, I'd like to discuss your unusual favor."

"Right," Lei nodded.

An awkward silence filled the room.

"How can I trust that you aren't working with Remus Tattaglia?" Alejandro asked out of the blue.

"How can I trust that you will fulfill my favor instead of throwing me back to Tattaglia grounds?"

"Why do you want that favor?"

"Why are you helping me?"

Don Alejandro sighed.

"Remus and I are enemies, Corleone and Tattaglia have always been rivals. And, I wouldn't just throw you back. Worst case is I make you work for me. Wouldn't ever toss a person to them," he said silently.

"Well," she started, "I'm not working for Tattaglia men. I swear on the bible."

He nodded, and answered her other question: 

"I'm helping you because my father was a man who granted favors as well. My grandfather, and my great grandfather as well. The Corleone Dons always help people with favors."

Lei answered his last question:

"I told you last night," she shrugged, "I want the favor because I don't like Remus acting this way...all creepy."

"Lying doesn't look good on you."

"I'm not lying," she replied slowly.

"But you're hiding the partial truth. You can't just want death upon yourself because of being involved in the mafia."

He's good, she thought, but there wasn't any way she was telling this stranger, generous or not, about herself.

"Remus killed an innocent man in front of me." Lei looked down, "And I've made up my mind," she answered coldly, "death isn't a terrifying thing, sometimes living is."

Don Alejandro looked at her.

"I intend to keep my promise and help you."

"How will you do that?"

"Yeah, Al," Stefano smiled, licking his now empty bowl of ice cream, "how are you going to do that?"

"I don't know..."

The three of them sat in their seats.

Alas, Stefano spoke.

"You're very pretty, and cute. Like me," Stefano grinned and Alejandro snorted as Lei laughed. A genuine heartfelt laugh. She hadn't laughed a hearty laugh in a long time.

"There's a lot more to live for," Stefano added lightly.

"Perhaps," Lei answered the happy man, "but I've made up my mind."

Alejandro said nothing.

His eyes peered out the window.

"Those are the stationed Tattaglia men?" 

She nodded.

"Stef, pay them later so they don't tell Remus about us meeting Lei."

The three sat for some more time.

"Thank you." He said coldly.

Don Alejandro dragged Stef out the shop.

She had just served a serious, cold Don and a hungry, happy man from the mafia. What an afternoon.

She cleaned up Stef's plates and bowls as she glanced at the other side of the table, Don Alejandro's side.

His ice cream was untouched.