Chapter 30: Spilling it

Anta

"I KNEW IT! I freaking knew it!" I shrieked, "I told you! You guys are so cute! Oh my god! Tell me all that happened. Did Al initiate the kiss? Or did you lean in? Was it-"

"Anta!" Lei's face was burning red, "I'm not describing our first kiss to you."

"Fine," I grumbled, lying back, "my dear brother actually built up the courage. Tsk tsk."

The morning was a bright one, the start of February.  Time had went by so fast. Five months ago at the end of October, Lei had visited Al for the favor. Now, it was February, and I was sitting in my room with Lei, chatting like old friends.

"How's everything with Lorenzo?" she asked, sitting beside my table.

"Thing is, we've been on four dates now but we haven't kissed. Mouth to mouth, I mean." He had been so sweet to me, but I felt like he wasn't serious? Four dates...and no kiss?

"Maybe he's not a physical person?"

"Pfft," I snorted, "he is though..."

"Maybe he's waiting for the right time,"Lei offered.

I shrugged, relaxing against the bed frame. I have had feelings for Lorenzo, for a while now, and I did not know if he felt the same way. If he liked me as much as I liked him. Perhaps it was a game to him. He was funny and flirty...but serious? I don't know-

"Alfonso's been writing to you?" 

I sat up immediately.

"How did you-"

She held up the greasy note from Alfonso days ago. I had forgotten to hide it. Dang it.

There was an unfamiliar awkward silence between us.

---

Lei

"So you've been in touch with our brother for three months now, and you didn't think to tell me at all?"

Al was standing in the middle of the meeting room, his hands crossed in front of him. He look displeased. Very displeased. Anta had gathered everyone to tell Al about Alfonso.

"You were busy with Tattaglia, Cuneo, and Stracci," Alberto muttered quietly.

"All of you knew? And you didn't bother to tell me?" Al's cold stare swept the room, his voice hard. He heaved a heavy sigh.

"Since I'm in a good mood, I won't say anything," he sat down, "now spill."

"I wonder why he's in a good mood," Anta whispered in my ear.

My cheeks turned pink, my face was burning.

Alfredo spilled it all. "Alfonso contacted us several times," he sighed, "he says he was doing an investigation. It was to do with father's death. And a few days ago he said he had figured everything out, and said we needed to meet up. There's some map, photo, and diary too."

Al sat in silence, thinking hard.

"How are we going to meet up with him?"

"I don't know..." Anta looked down.

A knock came from the door. Stef and Chiara came in, holding cookies. "Sorry," Stef smiled, "I was making cookies with Chiara." Chiara grinned, sitting down.

The seven of them sat at the meeting table, making no noise.

Crunch.

Chiara nudged Stef for chewing his cookie, shooting him a look.