Chapter 27: Confrontation

Lei

I made my way up the stairs. 

It had been a week since I moved in, temporarily. Time flies.

The police had contacted me yesterday, and Alberto an Alejandro, saying that there was no trace of whoever had broken in. Nothing valuable was stolen, anyway. It was the breaking in that had scared me. And there was no trace of evidence of the intrusion.

Strange, I thought, sadly. Whoever did it was good at hiding their tracks.

Anta was drop-dead gorgeouss, and she has great taste in fashion. But her clothes were very...revealing. Yet I had to borrow her clothes after the bakery intrusion since Al forbade me to go back in case anything happened.

Today, I was wearing a tight black mini-dress with thin straps. 

Very Anta, and definitely not me.

I reached the second floor and spun to walk up the next flight when a tall figure bumped into me, spilling tea all over the dress. Oh no, Anta's dress.

"Oh my god!" Chiara widened her eyes, "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to-"

"Are you alright, Lei?"

Al?

Al ran over from outside his office, trying to dry my dress with his sleeve. 

I blushed red in embarrassment. I had ruined Anta's dress...

Al looked at me in concern, "are you okay? Was the tea hot?"

"I'm fine," I sighed, looking down. Anta's dress...I felt so bad. The tea wasn't hot, fortunately.

"I-it was a-an accident," Chiara stammered, "I am so sorry, Lei."

"How dare y-"

"Al," I said softly, "it really was an accident." She sounded sincere to me.

Alejandro grabbed Chiara's arm, leading her away. Why was he so angry?

I walked back to my room in my soaking dress to change, confused.

Alejandro

I have had enough.

"Sit."

Chiara did as told, seating herself on the chair.

I stood in front of her, my arms crossed against my chest, my eyes narrowing.

My temper was rising, bottled-up anger spilling out.

"Since the day you arrived, you've caused nothing but headaches for me."

"Don I have not. I've helped with the files and paperwork."

I raised my brows, scoffing, "This isn't about work. You lied to Lei about me being busy before."

Chiara stiffened.

"She thought I didn't want to spend time with her. I did want to spend time with her."

"I have no idea why you lied to her face, saying that I couldn't see her when I was actually waiting for her to come, Chiara. She made blueberry muffins, for me. I didn't even get to eat them. I-I really wanted to eat them for heaven's sake!" 

"Liugi told me you were a very capable person. He said you were a reliable assistant, yet you've been a mess! Lying then claiming you forgot."

My voice was rising. Fast.

"You told Lei she was a 'distraction' when she is not, and she WON'T EVER BE A DISTRACTION."