Chapter 7: The Library

Stef wasn't in his office, and neither were Alfredo and Alberto. Lei searched the entire first floor and third floor. No sign of them. Anta wasn't in her room either. Alfonso's office was empty.

Where could they be?

Lei mustered up her courage and knocked on Don Alejandro's office door.

Don Alejandro's office was empty as well.

She shut the door when a bodyguard saw her. The bodyguard instructed her to go past the ballroom until reaching a dark door, where there was a library.

She gave him a small smile in thanks, walking down the marble steps. Lei walked past the lobby and past the grand ballroom. Then at last she arrived in front of a tall, black door.

Lei pushed the door open gently, stepping in the dim room.

The library was nothing like the gloomy, grey manor's style.

It was milky white and gleaming gold, sunlight shining in from the windows in between the large bookshelves. The first floor was filled with bookshelves and bookshelves of books of all sorts, the colors of the book covers filling the room. There was a railing on the second floor, and more windows. The place looked magical, straight out of a fairytale palace.

"Don Alejandro?"

The man in a dark suit was on a ladder, holding two books in one of his arms. His head turned.

Alejandro 1st person point of view

She was standing there, the sunlight shining down on her dark brown hair. Even from a distance, I could see her hazel eyes.

I disliked her eyes. They reminded me of her.

My mother.

Steadying myself, I climbed down the ladder, shifting my books. I walked over slowly, across the bright room, as she asked,

"I'm sorry for bothering you," she stated, "but I was wondering if you knew where Stef and the others have gone?"

"Didn't Anta tell you?" 

She shook her head lightly, "no, why would she?"

"She seems fond of you," I answered coldly.

Anta had always been wary of everyone, very defensive. Yet she had warmed up to Lei.

I have no idea what spell Lei put my sister under. It was a powerful spell though.

"Well they've gone shopping for their masquerade outfits, and Anta's bringing Aden to buy new clothes."

She nodded a little, an awkward silence filling the room.

"Is that the Great Gatsby?" she asked suddenly, her eyes on the book in my hands.

"Yeah."

She reads?

"I just finished it. Alfredo recommended it to me."

"Oh," I was surprised she was fond of reading, like me. "What do you think of it?"

"It's...it's complicated. When you read it, it's not a particularly mind-blowing plot or concept. But the story is so realistic and sad, like a story your heart-broken best friend would tell you."

"I agree," I smile, "like a tale of your friend's with maybe more flavor and a sad twist."

"Exactly! Daisy chose Tom in the end, which is...realistic. Gatsby had this undying love for her but she chose the safe path, Tom. I think that's what we all do, really, choose the safe path."