Chapter 2: Hairpin

Alejandro's mind was completely, utterly blank.

'Kill me.'

He hadn't expected this.

He hadn't expected those two words to come straight out of her mouth.

"Lei." Her hazel eyes darted to his, as her name fell from Alejandro's lips. His brows were knitted in confusion, the blue pupils brewing with confusion.

"Explain."

Lei looked down, avoiding his gaze. 

"Remus Tattaglia," she started.

"He stumbled upon my bakery one day. He was hurt, and came in, bleeding badly. Perhaps he was attacked somewhere near. I honestly have no clue. But I tended to his wounds. He was a hurt man after all, and I felt the need to help the injured man."

"He asked for my name. Then he left. The day afterward,  I noticed that there were men in coats guarding my bakery. So, I questioned one of the men. He said he worked for Remus Tattaglia. I followed one of the men, and saw that it led to a huge mansion. And from a window I could see him. The injured man.The hurt man I had saved was the head of the Tattaglia mafia."

"It took an effort, but at last I got in and spoke to him. He told me he wanted me to be his, and that he loved me. I felt...disgusted. Love isn't a word that should be tossed around like nothing. I barely knew the guy. Heck, I didn't know him," she brushed back her hair and sighed lightly.

"This was half a year ago. Ever since, I've been constantly followed."

"And then a customer, a friendly man, came to my bakery one morning..."

"He was being nice and all, and then he asked for my phone number. I didn't even have the chance to respond and then...there he was. Dead. On the floor. My floor. It was one of Remus's men that shot him. Don Alejandro, I can't live like this."

"I never really had a happy, joyous life, but this is worse. An innocent man died because Remus was jealous. You have to help me. You gave me your word."

Yes, because you basically forced me, Lei.

"Not to be blunt," Alejandro stated, "but if you wished for death, why have you not done it yourself?"

"I have my reasons," Lei answered quietly.

Alejandro sighed deeply. 

"I will fulfill your favor. On one condition."

Lei nodded, her eyes glinting.

"You will speak to nobody about tonight's meeting. If you want to throw your life away, I cannot stop you. But if Tattaglia knew that I was the one who killed you, there would be war."

"But the men who came with me?"

"They will be taken care of," Alejandro said, amusement glinting in his eyes, "they are not loyal men. I'm sure money will do the job."

Lei smiled a little. It wasn't a big grin or a laugh, but it was the first time she had smiled since she set foot in Alejandro's office. Alejandro decided that he liked her pretty smile.

Then he mentally slapped himself for even thinking like that.

"So," she sighed, "how do we do this?"

"I will live up to my word. We can try to figure out a way to distract Tattaglia when you're well, being, um, sent to heaven," he muttered, and Lei chuckled a little, "or we can try to make Remus forget you. Somehow lose interest in you. Any way for you to get your favor without a war between our mafias." Alejandro concluded all of this, ending the conversation.