Chapter 15: Christmas Morning

Stefano

I crouched low, hiding behind the grey leather sofa.

Santa's arriving any moment now.

A few shuffling footsteps came from behind the tree.

Santa?

I sprung from behind the sofa, running to the Christmas tree and saw-

"Anta?"

I looked at the tall brunette standing there with wide eyes.

Why was Anta standing there...holding gifts?

Then I realized.

"You're here to catch Santa too?"

I hugged her tightly, wrapping my arms around her.

"Kiddo," she laughed, "Santa already left. The gifts are here already."

Lei

Yawning, I walked down the cold marble steps of the manor.

Beside the shiny Christmas tree was Anta and an excited Stef sitting on the marble floor, tearing off all the paper on his gifts like a giddy five-year-old.

"Merry Christmas!" Anta called out to me, as I came over to the tall Christmas tree.

She hugged me tightly and I felt warm.

I handed her the black box with the heels inside. She gave me a small pink bag in return.

"This," she picked up a pink box next to Stef, "is Stef's gift to you."

"Aw thanks, both of you, Merry Chri-"

Stef shrieked all of a sudden, unboxing another gift. He pulled out a huge chocolate chip cookie.

"Merry Christmas!" a cheery Alfredo called out, coming down the stairs. A sleepy Alberto followed, holding a mug of coffee.

"Merry Christmas," I smiled, giving him a green bag, "they're modern novels, different than the ones you read."

"Thanks," he beamed, "here's your gift."

"Thank you," I smiled.

"Here," a sleepy Alberto hands me a light pink bag.

Al appeared on the steps, trudging down the marble steps.

"Merry Christmas everyone."

Anta was holding onto my shoulder as she tried on the high-heels I had gotten her.

I tried to help her regain her balance as she lifted her foot. She slipped on the heels with long black straps. Both high-heels were pointy at the front with two-inch heels.

Suddenly, I felt breathing on my neck.

"Thank you for last night," Al whispered from behind me.

"You're welcome," I whispered back.

He put a small box in my hand.

"But you've already-"

"The candle was just to help you sleep. This is your Christmas present."

"Oh," I grinned, "Thanks then, Reptile."

"We're not sticking with that."

"Grandpa then?"

"No."

"What about-"

"These are gorgeous!" Anta clanked her heels on the floor, "thanks Lei!"