Chapter 24: Secretary

Alejandro

Liugi Stracci put the cup of coffee down on the table, swallowing the warm drink. It was unusually cold for a January morning. I sat in my office armchair, the dim sunlight casting in.

"Thank you for having me, Alejandro," Don Stracci smiled, folding his hands. "As a mark of our alliance and friendship, I'd like to present a gift."

"I couldn't possibly accept another gesture from you, Liugi," I shook my head slightly.

"Oh but I insist," he tapped his fingers, "I'd like to gift you one of my fine secretaries. She's very capable of doing lots of my toughest cases, while also being a trustworthy figure."

"Ah, but I have my brothers already," I assured him politely.

"Yes, but I've heard...interesting things about your consigliere."

Oh. Stef.

"He's not family, no?"

I shook my head slightly.

"Consider my person your secretary. To help both you and your consigliere."

I considered the options.  Stef was definitely...something. Perhaps a secretary really could help him with work. 

Did I trust Liugi enough, though...for one of his people to come in the manor?  I sighed.

"I accept your offer," I nodded politely. "Will she be staying in the manor or another residence?"

"That will be solely your choice," Liugi nodded, "she's in your hands now."

Liugi beckoned one of his suited men over, whispering in his ear. The suited man went out the office doors seconds later. 

Seconds later, a woman stepped in. My now secretary and co-consigliere was a tall blonde.

"This is Chiara," Liugi introduced. 

She smiled at me.

---

Lei

I held the small box of blueberry muffins, walking up the stairs of the grey manor. 

Blueberries were Al's favorite, which was surprising. I had thought he didn't like anything sweet.

His room was empty, so I went back down to his second-floor office.

"Al?"

I creaked open the door of the office, walking past the guards. He wasn't in his seat and I looked around-

"Excuse me, who are you?"

I turned around, clutching my box.

She was several inches taller than me, with long blonde hair and green eyes. The lady had thick lashes and plump lips. The blonde wore a black mini dress, with a dark jacket, her hair slicked back into a high ponytail.

I didn't know Al had female friends, he had never told me.

A sad feeling brewed in me. I swallowed a lump in my throat, smiling up at her.

"I'm Lei!"

She stared at me, replying curtly.

"I'm his new secretary."

Secretary? Fancy Al.

I nodded, managing a small smile. "Um," I looked down at my box, "is Al busy?

"Don Alejandro is not here at the moment. He is in a meeting."

"Oh," I nodded awkwardly.

Her green eyes stared into mine, her stare intent and hard, as if studying me. We stood there awkwardly.  

Well, I was awkward.

"So you're Lei?" she inquired, stepping forward. 

Her red heels clanked on the ground with loud clinks. They looked at tall as Anta's heels. Whoa.

"Yeah," I nodded, "and what's your name?" I smiled politely at her.

"Chiara."

"That's a pretty name," I grinned.

She just stood there, silent. I shifted uncomfortably. Maybe she's shy?

Her stare hardened.

"Uh, I guess I'll wait for him here and-"

"No need for that," she shook her head, "I'll inform him that you dropped by."

"Um, okay then."

I handed her the small box of blueberry muffins. "Can you please give this to Al?"

She took it from my hands as I walked out the door.

"Thank you so much, Chiara. Oh, and ple-"

The door slammed shut in my face.

--

What do you guys think of Chiara?

And why did Liugi send her...?

THANK U FOR 5K READS!

-Sofia