Chapter 9: The Third floor

The third floor was much different from the grand ballroom. The dim candles barely lit the dark, eerie corridors. The doors were all painted black. The air was cold. The floor had cobwebs and a thick layer of dust. It would have been pitch black if not for the candles.

Alejandro found a small room with two armchairs, a carpet and a fireplace.

The three brothers and Stefano stood behind Alejandro, who sat on an armchair.

'I'm going up the stairs now,' Lei's very quiet voice whispered through the earpiece, breathless. It was evident that she was hurrying up to the third floor.

'Remus is curious. And I can sense that he's angered. He thinks that I lied to him when I said I wasn't part of any mafia before.'

'We're in the room already. Don't worry,' Alejandro calmed her, 'he won't do anything irrational. Yet.'

They waited in the room. Ready.

Lei burst through the doors. A tall figure came in behind her. Four men were following the tall, blonde-haired man. Tattaglia hadn't noticed Corleone.

Remus Tattaglia faced Lei.

"Care to explain why you're at Barzini's?"

Remus shook his head.

 "I love you Lei. So I trusted you. You told me you weren't involved in any mafias.

"Remus."

Tattaglia whipped his head around, his dark eyes narrowing.

"We meet again." Alejandro said, his face expressionless.

Alejandro's eyes were scorching with the sizzling flames of hatred. Anger, hatred, fury, were mixed in his cold blue eyes. Lei could barely recognize that those same burning eyes were the ones that had twinkled under the lights of the ballroom a few minutes ago.

"Son of Enzo," he greeted, his voice light and amused, "and the unworthy Don."

"Whether I am worthy or not of my position is not for you to assess."

"Ah," Remus smirked, "my sincerest apologies."

Remus sat down on the armchair, facing Alejandro. He smiled, "I must ask you to leave. My companion and I are discussing a few-"

"Lei's with me."

Tattaglia's smile vanished.

"So," Remus lets out a dark laugh, "all this time...Little Lei here has been your spy?"

"No. On the contrary," Al answered coldly, "we met because of you. She asked me for a favor."

"A favor?" the blonde man chuckled, "May I ask, what she requested?"

Alejandro looks at Lei who nodded, reluctantly.

"To kill her."

"Ah," Remus nods, "I see. And why did you say yes?"

"I grant favors."

"Taking after your father, I see," Remus smiles, "very traditional for the Corleone men. All those favors. How nice. I suppose-"

"Enough with the small talk," Alejandro gritted, "we're here to negotiate."

Tattaglia smirks.

"Let's negotiate then."

Alejandro nodded, his eyes of hatred staring at Remus.

"You know nothing about love, Tattaglia."