Chapter 1 - Rescue

(Artwork by bigdad)

BEFORE YOU PROCEED, PLEASE READ THE DESCRIPTION!

This is a SEQUEL to the first book in the series, "Together." I REALLY recommend you read that book first before reading this one.

If you're all caught up to speed on what's happening, then without further ado, let's begin the story!

(Continuing where we left off...)

Six sat next to Mono as they continued to stare out into the endless blue seas of the ocean. They had taken refuge on the beach for a few days now, and supplies were getting scarce. Mono had ventured away from the sand conehead camp and almost got lost as he searched for an entrance into the city, the two ultimately decided that it would be too dangerous to venture into with all of the viewers patrolling. Now, here they resided, deciding on their next move as they got hungrier and thirstier with every passing day.

"What I would do for some actual food right now..."

Mono's stomach rumbled at the thought of food as held his hands up to the fireplace in front of him, watching the sunset over the ocean along with Six who was next to him, trying to pass time by tracing her finger around in the sand. Living with the sand coneheads wasn't exactly entertaining, the most they could do was watch them endlessly run around the beach, collecting whatever they could find and storing it in the treehouse. The coneheads built them a fireplace, providing enough warmth for the two.

"We can't stay here forever, but... where are we even meant to go?"

He glanced over his shoulder, looking at Six and watching her draw things in the sand.

"Huh... well at least she's got something to do."

Mono got onto his feet, stretching his arms out.

"I gotta get busy."

Jamming his hands into the pockets of his trenchcoat, he walked down to the shore, zoning out as he watched the waves crash into the sand in front of him. He was trying to construct a plan to get the two out of there, ideas flooding through his head like a river.

"Maybe... I could make a boat? Hm... or I could make a-"

Mono jumped as he was caught off guard by Six coming up behind him and wrapping her arms around his chest.

"Hey... what are you up to..?"

She sleepily spoke as she rested her chin on Mono's shoulder.

"Oh..! Ha... you scared me!"

Six scoffed, patting him on the head.

"Sorry... hope I didn't frighten you too badly."

"Nah, you're fine. I was just thinking..."

"About what?"

She perked her head up curiously.

"Oh, well... I was thinking that maybe we could build a boat or something like that to get us off of this island."

"Hm... not a bad idea. I was thinking of building some kind of signal to alert any boats that are nearby."

She shrugged, letting go of him and taking a step back.

"I guess I'll stop bothering you then."

Six began to turn around but noticed something off about Mono. He hung his head low as he sighed, his face forming a frown.

"What's wrong?"

Mono tried to hide the sadness he had been feeling lately from Six, but it was quite evident something was going on with him at this point.