Chapter 4 - Five, Six, Seven

(Artwork by bellerocks4)

"Uh... hi..?"

A boy with dark brown hair that covered his eyes was revealed by the flashlight. Six released her grip on him, setting the metal rod aside. He sat up, scratching his head and sneezing as dust fell onto his nose. She still didn't trust him, backing up and questioning his motives.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?"

"I'm looking for a way out of here... no luck so far."

"Do you have a name?"

"Um... a name?"

Six was getting annoyed with how vague he was being.

"Do you even know what a name is?"

"Yeah, I do, but... I never really made up one for myself. You're the only kid I've seen down here so far."

"Uh-huh..."

She crossed her arms, still unconvinced that this kid was telling the truth as he asked her a question.

"So... what about you? What's your name?"

Six debated in her head whether or not to give up her actual name.

"Mono."

"Huh?"

The real Mono turned around, facing the two.

"Mono? That's not a bad name- WOAH!"

The boy spotted two white eyes in the dark behind "Mono," pointing behind her.

"Mono, look out behind you!"

"What?"

Six quickly turned around, not seeing anything but Mono standing there, looking around.

"What? Is there something behind me?"

Mono turned around, confused when he did not see anything. The kid got up and snatched his flashlight off of the floor, pointing it at Mono.

"Oh... never mind."

The two waved at each other as Six stepped closer to Mono, hiding behind him.

"Hey dude, you have cool-looking eyes!"

"Hi, and uh... thanks."

"I forgot about my eyes... wait, who's this new kid?"

They said hello to one another as Six slightly nudged Mono. He glanced at her, lowering his voice.

"What?"

"I don't trust that guy, he won't even tell me his name."

Mono tried to be optimistic, suggesting a possible reason as to why he was being so shy.

"Maybe he's just uncomfortable around new people."

"Hm... I doubt it."

Mono shook his head.

"I say we let him hang around for a while. See what he does. Then, we can decide if we can trust him or not."

She hesitated for a moment, before sighing and nodding.

"Fine... but I'm still going to keep an eye on him."

"Alright, you do you want."

The boy stepped out of the tunnel into the light, revealing his clothing. He was barefoot and wore a blue shirt with dark blue pants. He had a metal cuff around his right ankle that had a small chain attached to it. He held his flashlight off to the side, looking over his shoulder at them.