Chapter 20 - All for One

(Artwork by Talia Rodriguez Darias)

"If I were an elevator... where would I be..."

Mono observed his surroundings as he cautiously walked through the dimly lit room, keeping an ear out for any distant dinging noises, or anything that could lead them to an elevator. The only thing he could hear was the sound of muffled stomping, groaning, and plates shattering in the far distance from the guests who continued their rampage behind the walls.

"Mono, do you see anything yet?"

"Nope, I got nothing."

He sighed, slightly annoyed but mostly saddened by their split from Seven. Mono still lingered on the moment where he broke the news to them. Half of him was considering going back and escaping with Seven on the boat, but he knew that they were most likely gone by now.

"Don't let it all be for nothing, Mono... come on..."

Walking over to a door, he slightly pushed it and peeked through it, immediately closing it upon seeing more guests that they would have to go through if they were to choose to go through that door.

"Don't go through this way, it's a... death trap."

Mono tapped on the frame of the door, turning toward Six and tilting his head toward it. She nodded as she waved her lighter around in the darkness, hoping to find something that could be of use to them, such as a flashlight, or a weapon of some sort.

GROWL!!

His breath hitched as his stomach began to growl loudly. Mono tensed up, his eyes widening and sweat beginning to drip down his forehead as a sharp pain began to build up inside of him. The hunger pains were making a return.

"Mono, are you alright?"

"HELP..!"

He managed to yelp out, causing Six to immediately run over to his aid. Mono dropped onto his knees, groaning as the growling got even more aggressive. His ears rung as he let out one final gasp before slipping out of consciousness.

Mono winced, shielding his eyes as a bright, yellow light immediately blocked his vision. Seagulls chirped in the distance and the sounds of waves crashing against the shore were heard as Mono looked at the ground with great confusion. He picked up a hand full of sand in his hand as he came to realize where exactly he was.

"Am I on a... a beach..?"

"There you are."

He froze as a distorted, feminine voice announced her presence behind him. Mono knew exactly who it was.

"Did you miss me?"

"What... do you want..?"

Mono grimaced as he got onto his feet, his body aching with every little movement he made. Turning around he clenched his teeth and furrowed his eyebrows at the dark, shadowy figure with the raincoat outline who merely scoffed.

"If you're gonna kill me for... having Six go with me... then you might as well just get it over with because I'm not gonna stop-"

"You're doing good, Mono."

He held his tongue as an unexpected response from Shadow Six surprised him. Mono expected her to be greatly angered with him for letting Six go with him to fight the lady, but instead, she merely smiled at him. Mono kept his distance, not trusting her for a second.

"This will all make sense soon."

"No, not soon, right NOW. You're gonna tell me EXACTLY what's going on."