Chapter 19 - Gentle Giant

(Artwork by bigdad)

The three gasped, turning around and facing the gasmask-wearing giant that was standing behind them, firmly gripping a sharp harpoon and staring down at them.

"Oh SHOOT! RUN!!"

Seven cried out, picking up his nome and starting for the sliding door, but he immediately halted as the giant's deep voice began to plead for him to stay.

"WAIT! DON'T GO OUT THERE. IT'S DANGEROUS."

"Huh..?"

Turning around with a confused expression, Seven looked up at the giant who crouched down, lowering his deep, robotic voice down to a whisper.

"THOSE GUESTS WILL EAT ANYTHING THEY SEE, STAY IN HERE FOR NOW."

"You mean those big people sitting at the tables?"

Mono was slightly skeptical, keeping his distance from the giant who was seemingly friendly and speaking to him at a distance.

"AFFIRMATIVE."

"Yeah... they're pretty ruthless... hey, why aren't you trying to kill us?"

Six asked, looking up at the giant and tilting her head slightly.

"YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO SURVIVE THIS AWFUL PLACE. THE LEAST I CAN DO IS HELP."

The giant rested the metal harpoon against the wall, then placed his gloved hands in the pockets of his large coat.

"Wait, so... are you working for her?"

Mono questioned, taking a step forward as the nome hid behind his leg, too afraid to come out completely.

"THE LADY? I STILL AM, TECHNICALLY. SHE DOESN'T KNOW THAT I'M HELPING YOU KIDS OUT, AND I'D LIKE TO KEEP IT THAT WAY."

"Do you know where she is right now?"

"I'M NOT PROHIBITED TO ENTER HER QUARTERS, SO I DON'T KNOW HER CURRENT WHEREABOUTS."

CLICK!!

The giant's radio that was attached to the collar of his coat suddenly began to produce noise, a quiet but baritone voice emitting from the speaker.

"REPORT. ANY SIGHTING OF THE RUNAWAYS?"

The guard slowly raised his hand, gesturing for the kids to remain quiet as he gripped his radio, turning it on.

"NEGATIVE, DON'T SEE ANYTHING YET."

CLICK!!

"They're talking about us, aren't they?"

Six asked as the giant nodded in response to her question, Mono shaking his head in disbelief as Seven felt a little proud at how much attraction they had gained.

"YES. YOU KIDS ARE THE TOP PRIORITY AT THE MOMENT. I HEARD YOU HURT THE LADY."

"You're damn right we did."

Mono bragged, crossing his arms and nodding at their accomplishment.

"YOU ARE THE ONLY LIVING BEINGS ON THE PLANET TO DO SO."

"Well, it wasn't THAT hard..."

Six scoffed, shrugging as Seven spoke up after her.

"Yeah, and I found out that her reflection is her weakness!"

"Oh, right. That was all him."

Six pointed at Seven over her shoulder with her thumb as he smiled and nodded his head.