Chapter 6 - The Hideaway

(Artwork by HezuNeutral)

Mono felt his consciousness return to him, or so he thought. He could barely breathe as hot air hit his face. No matter how hard he tried to open his eyes, the only thing he could see was darkness. He tried to move his limbs, but they remained in place, no matter how hard he tried.

"Am I dead..? Is this what being dead feels like? Cause if so, this sucks!"

He tried to move once again, but his body simply refused.

"Wait... I didn't get to marry Six, I can't be dead yet!"

He grew desperate, wriggling around and trying to break free.

RIP!!

The light hit him directly in his eyes as he heard a tear. Suddenly, his surroundings became very clear. He was being carried upside-down on a hook, and he was wrapped up in cloth. Multiple other wraps of cloth were being carried on hooks all around him, all being pulled in the same direction.

"Where am I? More importantly, where is Six and-"

The wrapped-up cloth that was right in front of him began to wriggle around as if it were alive. Out popped a familiar boy, who screamed as he fell downward, disappearing into the darkness below.

"Seven!!"

Mono quickly broke his arms and legs free, grabbing onto the end of the cloth and pulling himself down. Nearly losing his grip, he dropped down onto a slightly slanted metal pipe.

"AaaaAAAAHHH!!"

He immediately regretted his decision, the slippery pipe being too unstable to stand on.

SMASH!!

Sharp waves of pain hit his back like a train as he fell backward and broke through a wooden plank. He tumbled down a pile of coal as he landed face-first on the hard stone floor. Mono coughed and wheezed, the wind was completely knocked out of him as he writhed around in pain on the floor. He had trouble seeing two feet in front of him as a strange, tiny creature with a weirdly shaped head approached him. It observed him curiously, before running away as a familiar voice called out his name.

"Mono? Seven? Where are you guys?"

A yellow figure rounded a corner before gasping in shock. 

"Oh my god..."

Six ran over to his side, kneeling next to him, carefully picking him up, and sitting him against the wall.

"Are you alright? What happened?"

"I fell... where's Seven..?"

"I don't know, I was looking for you two and heard screams coming from over here, and I-"

A hand poked out of one of the piles of coal, then an arm. Finally, Seven poked his head out, coughing and then clearing his throat, announcing his presence to the two.

"Hey, uh... little help here?"

Six let Mono recover, running over to Seven's side and pulling him out of the coal pile. He dusted himself off, his blue clothes now had some dark stains, and his hair was a lot messier. 

"How did you two even end up here?"

"I woke up just now and realized that I was wrapped up in cloth, so I broke out... and fell. I don't know about Mono, though."

"Same... thing happened to me... but I watched Seven fall, so... I went after him."

Mono had trouble talking as his entire body ached from the nearly fatal drop.