Chapter 16 - Guest Area

(Artwork by Jalapenyes)

The elevator light flickered as the three stood there, an awkward silence filling the air. Mono looked at Seven, then at Six, making sure they were both not hurt. 

"This elevator is gonna take a while, get comfortable."

Six mumbled, leaning against the wall behind her and crossing her arms.

"Well... does anybody have any idea what that was?"

Seven sat down, running a hand through his brown, messy bangs.

"I... don't know."

Mono closed his white eyes, thinking to himself for a moment. A disturbing thought crept up in the back of his mind as he had an idea of what exactly had protected them back there.

"Shadow Six... she's messing with my powers, isn't she..?"

He scoffed, half of him expecting a response from her, the other half expecting her to hit him with another hunger strike.

"If you're connected to me as you said, you can hear me think, can't you?"

Nothing but silence filled his thoughts as he tried to assemble some form of communication with her, the end goal being to get her to leave him and his friends alone.

"If you can hear me, I just have one question-"

"Hey, Mono, I got a question for you."

Mono looked up, slightly startled as he saw Seven standing in front of him, his hands hanging off to his sides.

"What is it?"

"Why do you have those white eyes?"

Seven tilted his head, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Uh... well... I..."

"He just randomly got them one day. I don't know where it came from, but... we were talking one time and he just suddenly had them."

"Hm... right."

Seven turned toward Six who raised her head and spoke up for Mono who was fumbling over his words, unsure of what to say back to Seven.

"Yeah... why do you ask, Seven?"

"Well it couldn't have just been a random occurrence, there must be something about you that makes you different than the rest of us."

Seven glanced over at Mono, his face appearing to be stern as he eyed Mono. Although he couldn't see Seven's actual eyes, he could tell that he was being glared at.

"How did you not get fried when the TV fell into the water, back when we were in the sewers?"

"Is he interrogating me?"

Mono looked over at Six who shrugged and gave him a weird look back, showing that she was also confused at Seven's odd behavior. Glancing back at Seven, he let out a sigh before proceeding with his explanation.

"I only learned this recently, but... you're right, Seven. I'm not an ordinary kid."

His eyes lowered as a pang of strange guilt hit him, Mono recalling a dark moment between him and Six when he used his powers selfishly.

"I never told you about my powers because... well... I don't plan on ever using them ever again."

"Powers..? What do you mean powers?"

"I... how do I put it... I can-"

POP!!

The three flinched as the light that illuminated the entire elevator suddenly went out, cutting Mono off as he was in the middle of an explanation.