Chapter 18 - Nome Escort

(Artwork by Chloe.W56)

SMASH!!

Seven woke up with a jolt, the sound of a plate smashing being heard in the distance. Catching his breath, he let out a sigh of relief, his eyes falling on Mono and Six, who were still sleeping soundly in front of him. 

"Well, if they're still asleep... I guess it wouldn't hurt to stand guard for a little while."

His joints cracked as he got onto his feet, Seven carefully and quietly lifting the table cloth that kept them hidden from the outside world and tiptoeing out from under the safety of the table.

WHOOSH!!

The drape floated upward as Seven transformed into a nome. Then, he plopped down on the floor, his hands lying flat out by his sides as his cone-shaped head turned from left to right.

"Wonder if we'll ever get out of this place... I mean, we're close, aren't we?"

Seven thought to himself, the sound of muffled stomping and loud, obnoxious chewing being heard in the other room.

"Plus, we have to take down that lady too... yeah, I don't think our odds are exactly favoring us."

His hearing suddenly picked up something very alluring to him, a feeling that he hadn't ever felt before. The sound of distant scurrying and whirring was made very apparent to him, Seven's attention honing in on the location of the noise as it revealed itself to him.

"Is that a pack of nomes..?"

A small group of three nomes ran around a corner from a doorway, turning and sprinting in Seven's direction. He stood up, his head following them as they approached him.

"Huh? Are you talking to me?"

Seven listened, the one leading the group gesturing with his tiny hands as he emitted a whirring noise.

"Well, I can't escape with you guys right now. I have to, uh... watch over my friends."

He shrugged, not realizing that he was seemingly telepathically communicating with them. The one that was standing behind the leader stepped up to the front, inquiring Seven about something.

"Where are my friends? Well, they're right here-"

"Seven, where are you?"

Mono appeared, lifting the table cloth and looking around with a confused expression on his face. The nomes took one look at Mono, his white eyes striking fear within them, and in an instant they were off, ducking behind a corner and peering around it, watching Seven cautiously.

"Oh, there you are. Why are you in nome form?"

Seven turned back into a human as Six yawned, stepping out from under the table and stretching her arms.

"I was, uh... keeping watch. I woke up a little earlier than you guys, so I figured I'd just guard until you woke up."

"I see... well, I'm up now.'

Mono looked over to the corner that the nomes were hiding behind, causing them to duck around it upon realizing that their location was spotted.

"What's up with them?"

He looked on with perplexity as the nomes were seemingly afraid of him, but Mono couldn't figure out why as he waved a finger around in their direction.

"Um... hang on a second..."

WHOOSH!!

Turning into a nome again, Seven tried to get them to come out of hiding.