Chapter 12 - Twin Chefs

(Artwork by keikoyume)

"What's the plan..?"

Six leaned in between Mono and Seven and whispered as they were watching the twin chefs do their work, scrubbing dishes, turning off stoves, and managing food items.

"Still working on one..."

Mono scratched his head, trying to look for a possible exit to the place. The only thing that stuck out to him was a line of hooks that were moving forward along the ceiling. He wasn't really sure how they would reach them, however. They were way too high up, completely out of reach, even if they were to stack on top of one another.

"Well... there's hooks up there on the ceiling, we can use those to get through that opening in the wall near the top over there."

Seven pointed out a portion of the kitchen neither Mono nor Six had noticed. There was a large opening in the wall to the right where the hooks were being moved toward.

"If we can climb on top of that stack of plates, then we can reach the hooks and get out of here."

Six presented her idea to the trio, in which they nodded in agreement.

"Then that's what we do. Seven, you can be the distraction if you want."

Six stifled a laugh as Seven's eyes widened at Mono's suggestion.

"Nope, I'm good. You guys better not leave me behind..."

"Nah, don't worry about it Seven, he's just kidding. You're sticking with us all the way."

Six and Seven climbed up out of the open vent, ducking under a counter and turning around, waiting for Mono to emerge.

"I wasn't kidding..?"

Mono climbed out, sneaking over to where his friends were hiding as the chef stomped over to the center of the kitchen along with his counterpart, beginning to add another dish to the pile as he scrubbed it clean of any stains.

"Damn... how are we gonna lure them away..?"

Mono questioned as Six turned toward Seven, gesturing toward him.

"Not this again..."

"Oh come on, you're probably the fastest out of all of us..!"

"Fine, I'll distract, okay..?"

Mono sighed, taking up the responsibility as Six turned toward him, immediately rejecting his decision.

"No... I'd rather be the distraction than you."

"I've already made up my mind, Six."

She was tempted to continue debating the decision with him but kept quiet as she realized nothing was going to change Mono's choice.

"Alright, fine. But please be careful, okay..?"

Six pat Mono on the head, running a hand through his hair. 

"I will... now get ready."

Mono crawled out of the hiding spot, quickly running around the counter and dashing into the next room. He immediately hid around a corner as the chef turned around, looking in his direction.

"Don't tell me he saw me..."

Mono held his breath as the chef looked around with caution, scanning the area and making sure there weren't any intruders in the kitchen.

"Phew..."

Mono peeked around the corner and watched the giant resume his activities, seeing Seven and Six out of the corner of his eye scurry over to the table in the middle of the room with the pile of dishes, ducking under it and hiding, waiting for Mono's distraction.