Chapter 13 - Her

(Artwork by Ashura Arts)

GROWL!!

Mono yelped, clutching his stomach as it suddenly let out a loud growl.

"NO... SHADOW SIX... NOT NOW!!"

"Mono, are you... oh no..."

Six immediately dug around in her pockets as Seven ran over next to Mono, holding him up and stabilizing his footing as he nearly fell backward.

"Woah, woah there... easy pal. Just relax..."

"AHH!! IT... HURTS!!"

Mono was sat down against the wall by Seven as Six pulled out a piece of bread that she had saved for this very situation.

"Here, eat this Mono."

As Six handed it to him, he gulped it down in one bite, his ravenous hunger pains making him act like he hadn't eaten anything in weeks.

"There... better?"

"MORE..."

Mono dug around in his pockets, grabbing the piece of bread that he had saved and immediately shoving it into his mouth, not even bothering to chew on it as he immediately swallowed it.

"What about now?"

Six looked on with concern as Mono's face looked rather pale. He caught his breath, sweat dripping from his forehead.

"I'm... I'm good..."

"Can you walk?"

"I wanna... rest... for a while..."

She was patient, crouching down next to him and rubbing his shoulder gently.

"Seven, do you mind if we all wait here for a minute..?"

He looked at Six, thinking about her question to him, an idea popping up in his head.

"I think I got something better."

"What is it?"

"I can go after that tall lady by myself and maybe I can find a way out of here. Once I do, I'll come right back, promise."

Six looked at him like he was crazy.

"You can take care of Mono while I go look for the exit, so I can stay busy and productive."

"But... you're all by yourself! What if you get hurt? Or worse..."

"I'll be fine, don't worry. I'm too quick, I can't be caught!"

Seven chuckled at his own joke, his eyes averting down to the floor.

"Ah, well... I guess it wasn't that funny."

"Seven... go if you want... try and find out more... info about her..."

Mono looked up at him and nodded.

"Alright, I'll see what I can find, Mono. See you two later!"

Seven started off in the other direction, running through the vent, but halted in place as Six stopped him.

"Wait!"

He turned around, facing her while she was still crouched down next to Mono.

"Good luck, Seven."

"Thanks! I'll be back real quick, don't worry!"

Six looked back at Mono, sighing.

"I hope we aren't making the wrong decision here..."