Chapter 10 - Warning

(Artwork by SepiaPaws)

"Can you hear me..?"

The quiet sound of static buzzed in his ears as his hurting stomach caused him to toss and turn, groaning in pain.

"Mono, get up..."

A distorted, feminine voice called out to him. It sounded very distant, but in an instant sounded close and more demanding.

"Get up."

Mono's eyes shot open as he coughed and wheezed, gasping for air as he clung to his stomach. A dark figure was standing in front of him, and his surroundings were completely white. He clenched his teeth as the pain in his stomach hurt him once more before it went away completely all of a sudden.

"Where... where am I..? Who are you-"

"Silence. I need to inform you about something. Stand up, now."

He glanced up from off of the ground and couldn't believe his eyes as he discovered who was communicating to him.

"Shadow?! You survived!"

Mono quickly got onto his feet but was confused to see her backing away from him, shaking her head.

"I'm not here to have a friendly chat with you."

"What..?"

"You see... I used to have a connection with Six. I could sense her whereabouts at any point in time, that's how I teleported to her in the first place."

Shadow Six began to walk in a circle in the pure white room, her raincoat pulsating with electricity.

"Ever since the Signal Tower collapsed, that bond seemed to fracture. I can't keep a close eye over her anymore."

Shadow stopped in place, her back turned toward Mono. Glancing over her shoulder, her white eyes illuminated her dark face as they stared at him with unclear intent.

"I can still feel a connection to you, Mono."

"I don't understand... what connection?"

She smirked and demonstrated her "connection," Mono locking up in place as he realized what she meant. His stomach began to growl once again, the painful feeling building up inside of him as Shadow Six merely watched.

"Do you understand now?"

"What the... this is YOU!? YOU'RE DOING THIS TO ME?!"

Shadow scoffed and nodded in response, a smirk stained on her face.

"WHY!? ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?!"

"That's exactly what I'm trying to do."

The only thing stopping Mono from attacking her was his hunger as she bent  down, looking at him like he was a helpless animal.

"Emphasis on trying, I can't really do much to hurt you."

"YOU'RE... INSANE!!"

"I don't want you to die, Mono, at least not yet."

The hunger went away in an instant as Mono writhed around on the ground in pain.

"However, I don't want Six to die either. And for her to live, you can't be with her."

"What do you..?"

His voice broke as Shadow Six lowered her head.

"You are going to be the one who kills her, Mono."